The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Publications and Studies
Publications and Studies
Peer-reviewed publications with further analysis of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy’s wildlife contaminant data:
- Bowerman, W.W., A.S. Roe, M.J. Gilbertson, D.A. Best, J.G. Sikarskie, R.S. Mitchell, C.L. Summer. 2002. Using bald eagles to indicate the health of the Great Lakes’ environment. Lakes and Reservoirs 7(3):183-187.
- Guo, J., K. Simon, K. Romanak, W. Bowerman, M. Venier. 2018. Accumulation of flame retardants in paired eggs and plasma of bald eagles. Environmental Pollution 237:499-507.
- Letcher, R.J., G. Su, J.N. Moore, L.L. Williams, P.A. Martin, S.R. de Solla, and W.W. Bowerman. 2015. Perfluorinated sulfonate and carboxylate compounds and precursors in herring gull eggs from across the Laurentian Great Lakes of North America: Temporal and recent spatial comparisons and exposure implications. Science of the Total Environment 538:468-477.
- Su, G., R.J. Letcher, J.N. Moore, L.L. Williams, P.A. Martin, S.R. de Solla, and W.W. Bowerman. 2015. Spatial and temporal comparisons of legacy and emerging flame retardants in herring gull eggs from colonies spanning the Laurentian Great Lakes of Canada and United States. Environmental Research 142:720-730.
- Venier, M., M. Wierda, W.W. Bowerman, and R.A. Hites. 2010. Flame retardants and organochlorine pollutants in bald eagle plasma from the Great Lakes region. Chemosphere 80:1234-1240.
- Wu, Y., K.L. Simon, D.A. Best, W. Bowerman, and M. Venier. 2020. Novel and legacy per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances in bald eagle eggs from the Great Lakes region. Environmental Pollution 260: 113811.
Additional relevant Great Lakes studies that examine emerging contaminants in Great Lakes piscivorous wildlife (including Michigan wildlife):
- Best, D.A., K.H. Elliot, W.W. Bowerman, M. Shieldcastle, S. Postupalsky, T.J. Kubiak, D.E. Tillitt, J.E. Elliot. 2010. Productivity, embryo and eggshell characteristics, and contaminants in bald eagles from the Great Lakes, USA, 1986 to 2000. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 29(7):1581-1592.
- De Solla, S.R., D.V.C. Weseloh, K.D. Hughes, D.J. Moore. 2016. Forty-year decline of organic contaminants in eggs of herring gulls (Larus argentatus) from the Great Lakes, 1974 to 2013.
- Gauthier, L.T., C.E. Hebert, D.V.C. Weseloh, R.J. Letcher. 2007. Current-use flame retardants in the eggs of herring gulls (Larus argentatus) form the Laurentian Great Lakes. Environmental Science and Technology 41(13):4561-4567.
- Gauthier, L.T., C.E. Hebert, D.V.C. Weseloh, R.J. Letcher. 2008. Dramatic changes in the temporal trends of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in herring gull eggs from the Laurentian Great Lakes: 1982-2006. Environmental Science and Technology 42(5):1524-1530.
- Kannan, K., L. Tao, E. Sinclair, S.D. Pastva, D.J. Jude, J.P. Giesy. 2005. Perfluorinated compounds in aquatic organisms at various trophic levels in a Great Lakes food chain. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 48(4):559-566.
- Su, G., R.J. Letcher, J.N. Moore, L.L. Williams, K.A. Grasman. 2017. Contaminants of emerging concern in Caspian tern compared to herring gull eggs from Michigan colonies in the Great Lakes of North America. Environmental Pollution 222:154-164.
- Weseloh, D.V.C., D.J. Moore, C.E. Hebert, S.R. de Solla, B.M. Braune, D.J. McGoldrick. 2011. Current concentrations and spatial and temporal trends in mercury in Great Lakes herring gull eggs, 1974-2009. Ecotoxicology 20(7):1644-1658.