Skip to main content

Third-Party Analysis Alternative to EGLE Site-Specific Review

A property owner can hire a professional hydrologist or hydrogeologist to submit an analysis of a proposed large quantity withdrawal (LQW) with a capacity of up to 1,000,000 gallons per day (694 gallons per minute) instead of requesting EGLE to do the analysis under a Site-Specific Review.  All analyses must determine the likelihood of an Adverse Resource Impact occurring as a result of the proposed withdrawal as defined and required by Part 327, Great Lakes Preservation, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended (NREPA).

Please contact the Water Use Program at or any staff member prior to beginning a third-party alternative analysis.  Property owners or their professional hydrologist or hydrogeologist should use this completeness checklist for their alternative analysis submittal.

Completed alternative analyses can be submitted in electronic form to the Water Use Program.  If the electronic file size is too large to transmit via email, please contact Water Use Program staff to request access the EGLE file transfer service or to provide other means of file transfer.  Hard copy submittals should be addressed to:

Mr. Jim Milne, Supervisor
Water Use Assessment Unit
EGLE, Water Resources Division
P.O. Box 30458
Lansing, Michigan 48909-7958

EGLE will review your submittal for all items as required by law.  EGLE has 20 (or in limited cases 25) business days from receipt of a complete submittal to determine whether the proposed LQW can be registered.  EGLE will notify in writing if it requires 25 business days to make its determination.  If EGLE does not make its determination in 20 (or 25) business days, you may register your proposed LQW pursuant to Subsection 32706c (2)(a) of the NREPA.  EGLE will notify in writing if your proposed LQW can be registered or if it cannot be registered under Subsection 32706c (2) of the NREPA.

If you have any questions about third-party alternative analysis, or any other questions concerning the Water Use Program, please contact the Water Use Program staff.