Skip to main content

Water Withdrawal Permits

Water Withdrawal Registration is required prior to beginning a new or increased withdrawal with at least 100,000 gallons per day (70 gallons per minute) in withdrawal capacity but less than or equal to 2,000,000 GPD (1,388 GPM) capacity.

A Water Withdrawal Permit is required prior to beginning a new or increased withdrawal that:

  • will have more than 2,000,000 gallons per day (or 1,388 gallons per minute) withdrawal capacity
  • OR will transfer more than 100,000 gallons per day, averaged over any 90-day period, from the watershed of one Great Lake to the watershed of another Great Lake.

Exceptions - these withdrawals aren't required to obtain a Water Withdrawal Permit but are subject to Registration instead:

  • community water supplies - contact your Community Water Supply Program district engineer instead
  • bottled water production - review the Bottled Water Source Approval requirements instead
  • seasonal withdrawals - active for no more than 6 months per year AND average less than 2,000,000 GPD water use in any 90-day period within their season of operation
  • temporary withdrawals - short term withdrawals that total less than 180,000,000 gallons water use for the entire withdrawal period.

Water Withdrawal Permit Application - all information on this application form, and a $2000 application fee is required. Please call 517-599-3792 or email prior to submitting a Water Withdrawal Permit application.