Skip to main content

MiWaters database helps public search for information on permits, reporting a spill and more

July 23, 2019

The home page of MiWaters offers several search functions.

MiWaters, pronounced "My Waters," is an online electronic database that provides helpful tools for the WRD to connect our regulatory system with the public, electronically. MiWaters was also developed to allow Michigan to fulfill federal electronic reporting requirements, with a focus on permitting and compliance to establish a streamlined electronic permitting process. From the home page, the public user can access the WRD's permitting programs, including public notice and public hearing listings, search active or past permit records, access permit applications, and report complaints (e.g., placing fill in wetlands), spills, or pollution events (e.g., petroleum products in water). Here is what you need to get started:

Searching Public Notices and Public Hearings

The public notice search allows the user to narrow search results with filters for county, applicant name, or program area (e.g., Resource, Aquatic Nuisance Control, NPDES, etc.). Once a notice or listing is selected, one can then review the details of the notice, including download the application documents to review, view details, and submit comments.

Search for Existing Records with Site Explorer

Another great resource in MiWaters is Site Explorer. Site Explorer is an interactive mapping tool for searching the state for sites of interest. By clicking on a site, public users can see information about the regulated entity's activities at that location, such as inspections reports, applications, permits, or enforcement actions. Site Explorer also has different layers that can be added to the map, such as wetlands, conservation easements, Great Lakes bottomland conveyances, and much more.

Reporting Spills, Pollution, and Unauthorized Activities

Users can also report spills, leaks, or discharges to surface waters, such as unusual discolored water, oil sheens, and unusual amounts of dead fish. MiWaters can also be used for reporting general complaints regarding unauthorized activities in a wetland, lake, stream, sand dune, or Great Lakes coastal area, such as dredging, filling, and placement of a structure without permits. The uniqueness of reporting spills and complaints is that the public user can write exactly what was observed, put in the location of the complaint, and add photos. Once submitted, the information goes directly to the local staff representative to review and respond.

For more information on MiWaters, visit the MiWaters home page, or contact the appropriate EGLE office if you have questions that are not answered by the online help menu.


# # #

Take a short survey and let us know what you think about MI Environment.