The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Public meeting Wednesday on proposed Marathon Consent Order, community projects
August 03, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 3, 2020
The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) has scheduled an online information session for Wednesday, August 5, on a proposed Consent Order against Marathon Petroleum Co. under which it will pay a total of $363,853 to resolve numerous violations dating back to September 2017.
The virtual meeting will begin at 6 p.m. and will allow ample time for attendees to ask questions of EGLE presenters.
Under the proposed Consent Order, Marathon will spend $282,000 on two Supplemental Environmental Projects developed with extensive input from the community around the refinery in southwest Detroit. Marathon will retrofit the air handling system at the Mark Twain School for Scholars to improve indoor air quality for students and staff. The company will also create an online platform where the public will be able to track real-time air quality data collected at the refinery’s perimeter. In addition to the two community beneficial projects, Marathon will also pay an $81,853 fine to EGLE.
Details about the online session and hearing:
- Who: EGLE Air Quality Division staff.
- What: Information session on Marathon consent order and community projects followed by a question-and-answer session.
- When: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
- Where: Register to attend the August 5 virtual meeting. If you do not have internet access and would like to call in to the hearing, you may call (312) 626-6799, use access code 984 4078 1129#. Pre-registration is not required to attend this hearing.
A public comment period on the consent order is open until Sept. 28. To submit comments:
- Mail them to Erin Moran, Enforcement Specialist, EGLE, AQD, P.O. Box 30260, Lansing, Michigan, 48909-7760
- Email to MoranE@Michigan.gov
- Leave a voicemail by calling (517) 284-0900
A second virtual information session followed by a public hearing is scheduled for September 2. Register in advance of the meeting or before the meeting is to start. If you do not have internet access and would like to call in to the hearing, you may call (312) 626-6799, use access code 984 3522 2168#. Pre-registration is not required to attend this hearing.
Information about the enforcement action is available in English, Arabic or Spanish.
# # #