The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Common Michigan Waste Regulations
State Statutes and Rules
- Solid waste regulations under Part 115 (Solid Waste Management) of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, Public Act 451 of 1994, as amended (Act 451), the Part 115 administrative rules, and Part 89 (Littering) of Act 451.
- Scrap tire regulations under Part 169 (Scrap Tires) of Act 451.
- Liquid industrial by-products regulations under Part 121. (Liquid Industrial By-products) of Act 451.
- Hazardous waste requirements under Part 111 (Hazardous Waste Management) of Act 451 and the Part 111 administrative rules.
- Transportation of hazardous materials-EGLE requirements, which includes both liquid industrial waste and hazardous waste, under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act (Public Act 138 of 1998).
- Used oil recycling regulation under Part 167. (Used Oil Recycling) of Act 451
- Disposal of batteries regulations under Part 171. (Battery Disposal) of Act 451
- Medical waste requirements under Part 138. (Medical Waste Regulatory Act) of the Public Health Code, Act 368 of 1978, as amended (Act 368) and the Part 138 administrative rules.
- Radioactive waste under Part 135 (Ionizing Radiation Rules) of Act 368; the Part 135 administrative rules; Part 111 (Hazardous Waste Management) of Act 451; and the Part 111 administrative rules.
- Wastewater regulations under Part 31 (Water Resource Protection) of Act 451 and the Part 21 administrative rules.
- Air pollution regulations under Part 55 (Air Pollution Control) of Act 451 and the Part 55 administrative rules.
Federal Statutes and Rules
- Federal hazardous waste regulations implementing the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) are contained in Title 40, Parts 260-279, of the Code of Federal Regulations (40 CFR 260-279).
- Transportation regulations for U.S. DOT overseen by U.S. DOT and Michigan State Police are contained in 49 CFR Parts 100-199.
- PCB materials and waste regulations overseen by the U.S. EPA are in the federal Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and Title 40, Part 761 (40 CFR 761).
- Radioactive waste regulations are overseen by the U.S. NRC.
- Controlled substance regulations are overseen by the U.S. DEA.
- Federal wastewater regulations implementing the federal Clean Water Act.
- Federal air pollution regulations implementing the federal Clean Air Act.