You are here
Chronic Wasting Disease
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a contagious neurological disease affecting deer and elk. It causes a characteristic spongy degeneration of the brains of infected animals resulting in emaciation, abnormal behavior, loss of bodily functions and death. The infectious agents are considered to be neither bacteria or virus but rather are thought to be prions. Prions are considered to be infectious proteins without associated nucleic acids.
CWD Open Houses
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and Natural Resources Commission (NRC) are working to develop the next steps in managing CWD in Michigan. At the monthly NRC meetings, DNR staff are presenting updates on the process. We invite anyone interested in chronic wasting disease management in Michigan to attend an upcoming open house, held around the state, beginning in April. Open house dates and locations are as follows:
- Bay City – April 10, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Delta College Lecture Theater, Room G-160, 1961 Delta Road in University Center.
- Cadillac – April 11, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Wexford Center, 1320 North Mitchell.
- Kalamazoo – April 12, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Kalamazoo County Expo Center, 2900 Lake Street.
- Detroit – April 17, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Doubletree Detroit-Dearborn, 5801 Southfield Fwy.
- Rockford – April 18, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Rockford Fine Arts Auditorium, 4100 Kroes Street NE.
- Dewitt – April 19, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Dewitt High School Auditorium, 13601 S. Panther Drive.
- Marquette – April 24, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. at the Marquette High School Auditorium, 1203 W Fair Ave.
- Gaylord – May 1, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Ellison Place, 150 Dale Drive.
- Newberry – May 2, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Tahquamenon High School Auditorium, 700 Newberry Ave.
- Houghton – May 3, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Magnuson Hotel, 820 Shelden Ave.
Additional opportunities for involvement will be offered through the website and social media.
- Chronic Wasting Disease Symposium Information - And Livestream Links
- CWD Media Photographs
- Deer Check Locations and Hours
- Michigan Surveillance and Response Plan for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) of Free-Ranging and Privately Owned Cervids (Issued August 26, 2002; Revised July 18, 2012)
- CWD Response Measures - DNR Director's Interim Order
- Rules for Baiting and Feeding Deer and Elk
- Hunting Outside of Michigan? Know Before You Go!
- How To Obtain A Disease Control Shooting Permit
- Chronic Wasting Disease - Know the Facts!
- VIDEOS: Deer Processing and Taxidermy
- Handling, Using & Storing Venison (MSU Extension)
- USDA-APHIS-Veterinary Services: Chronic Wasting Disease Webpage
- The CWD Alliance Website
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources CWD Website
- Colorado Division of Wildlife CWD Website
- USGS National Wildlife Health Center CWD Information