Hunting Outside of Michigan? Know Before You Go!

If you harvest a cervid in any other state, you can only bring back the following cervid parts into Michigan: hides, deboned meat, quarters or other parts of the cervid that do not have any part of the spinal column or head attached, finished taxidermy products, cleaned teeth, antlers, or antlers attached to a skullcap cleaned of brain and muscle tissue.

If you are notified by another state or province that a deer, elk, or moose you brought into Michigan tested positive for CWD, you must contact the DNR Wildlife Disease Lab within two business days (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) at 517-336-5030 and provide details. In addition, the U.S. Department of Agriculture may have regulations on importation from Canada, contact them at 301-851-3300.

North America CWD Regulations, Carcass Movement, and Testing Results PDF icon

Includes contact information for regulatory authorities, carcass and parts movement, CWD testing, and more by state and province/territory.