The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Water Filter Information - How to Install and Change Filters
If Water-Lead levels Exceed 150 ppb
A water test will show if your water is above or below the actionable level of 15 ppb lead. To get your water tested, pick up a water test kit at one of the water resource sites. Follow the instructions and drop it off at the same location. EGLE will mail you your results and will also post them online.
Filters have been shown to be effective in the removal of lead when they are installed and maintained properly. Change your filter cartridge following the instructions that came with your filter.
Periodically cleaning your faucet aerator will also help remove trapped lead particulates.
Residents are encouraged to use filtered water regularly. Using tap water refreshes the water in the pipes, which helps to build the protective layer and reduce lead.
If your water results are over 100 ppb, EGLE will check your home for lead sources, such as fixtures or a lead service line. The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services will also consult with you on how to minimize lead exposure.
Michigan Distributing Certified Water Filters
NSF International, the public health and safety organization that tests and certifies residential drinking water filtration systems, has confirmed that the three water filters being distributed by officials in Flint, Michigan are currently certified by NSF International for lead reduction. View the Statement Regarding Flint Water System Lead Issue and Certification to NSF/ANSI Standard 53.
Brita faucet filter, model SAFF-100
- Brita SAFF-100 faucet filter is easy to attach with spray and stream features of faucet water filtration
- It helps improve water quality by filtering out contaminants from water such as lead, chlorine and other impurities
- Brita SAFF-100 measures 10.1 x 6.4 x 3 inches and weighs 12 ounces It produces 100 gallons of filtered clean drinking water in quantity
- Brita SAFF-100 is an eco-friendly water filter that helps reduce plastic water bottle waste
PUR Faucet Mount, model number FM-3700B
With 1-click installation, superior contaminant removal, and a two-year warranty, there's never been an easier or more reliable way to get PUR water. Each PUR MineralClear water filter gives you 100 gallons of clean, healthy, great-tasting water.
- MineralClear filters water over natural minerals for a crisp, refreshing taste - Only available with Advanced and Advanced Plus Faucet Water Filters
- Filter removes 99% of lead and 96% of mercury, along with many other contaminants
- Compatible with standard faucets. Will not work with pull-out or hand-held faucets
- Each filter provides up to 100 gallons of clean water
ZeroWater 23-Cup Dispenser, model number ZD-018
- 23-cup container--largest refrigerator filter dispenser available.
- On-hand pull & pour button spout.
- Easy-access fill--refill your dispenser while in the fridge.
- Completely dispenses all water
- Convenient, space-saving design.
- Built-in TDS meter holder
- Patented 5-stage dual ion exchange filter--removes virtually all dissolved solids in your water.
Water Filter Pickup Locations
Flint residents can obtain sampling kits, water filters and water filter replacement cartridges at the Flint City Hall (1101 Saginaw St., Flint MI 48502.) The Kiosk at City Hall is open from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm weekdays. Residents can also call 810-410-2020 to request a sample kit be dropped off or picked up by a Health Navigator.
For more information regarding water filters or water test kit availability, contact the City of Flint at 810-766-7106.