Gov. Rick Snyder signs Executive Order to create a roadmap for enhancing statewide broadband access and connectivity
Monday, Jan. 29, 2018
LANSING, Mich. – A comprehensive plan to improve access to broadband services in Michigan will be developed under an Executive Order signed today by Gov. Rick Snyder. The Executive Order creates the Michigan Consortium for Advanced Networks, which is directed to establish a roadmap to help strengthen statewide broadband access and connectivity.
“Ensuring all Michiganders have access to secure, reliable and affordable broadband services is an important step in our work to maximize Michigan’s momentum long into the future,” Snyder said. “Connectivity is a critical component for economic development, academic growth and stronger communities—particularly rural communities. I’m confident that this Consortium will create an innovative roadmap to help strengthen Michigan’s foundation for the future by enhancing broadband access statewide.”
Executive Order 2018-2 directs the Michigan Consortium for Advanced Networks to identify gaps in broadband service coverage and capacity, current efforts underway to address connectivity issues, and key strategies and recommendations for the state and private sector to pursue to achieve enhanced connectivity. The Consortium will consider recommendations provided by Gov. Snyder’s 21st Century Infrastructure Commission’s report and must present a plan by August 1, 2018.
Consortium members will represent government entities, the private sector, academia, and stakeholders. Five members will be appointed by the Governor and two individuals will be nominated by the Michigan Speaker of the House and Senate Majority Leader. Six additional non-voting members will include:
- The Director of the Department of Technology, Management and Budget, or his or her designee;
- The Director of the Michigan State Police, or his or her designee;
- The Director of the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, or his or her designee;
- The Chief Executive Officer of the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, or his or her designee;
- The Chairman of the Michigan Public Service Commission, or his or her designee; and
- The Director of the Department of Transportation, or his or her designee.
Executive Order 2018-2