July 3 through July 9, 2011: Amusement Ride Safety Awareness WeekDate: July 03, 2011 - July 09, 2011
Time: All Day Event
WHEREAS, each year, more than 40 million people attend fairs, festivals, fun centers, water parks and amusement parks throughout Michigan; and,
WHEREAS, approximately 350 ride injuries have been reported to the Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs (LARA) over the past twelve years, and a study of these reported injuries showed that 80 percent were caused by the rider's actions and the remaining 20 percent were caused by ride operators, failures of the equipment or a combination of both; and,
WHEREAS, the Michigan Carnival-Amusement Safety Board and LARA both work to make Michigan a leader in ride safety, and the inspection and registration of amusement rides; and,
WHEREAS, LARA's Bureau of Commercial Services inspects amusement parks and traveling shows to ensure compliance with Michigan's rules and regulations that protect citizens of all ages while riding; and,
WHEREAS, during this week, we raise awareness of ride safety for visitors and Michigan residents as they spend time visiting the fairs, festivals, amusement parks and other attractions Michigan has to offer this summer;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Snyder, Governor of Michigan, do hereby proclaim July 3, 2011 through July 9, 2011 as Amusement Ride Safety Awareness Week in Michigan.