GREAT LAKES WIND COUNCIL
DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY, LABOR, AND ECONOMIC GROWTH
WHEREAS, Section 1 of Article V of the Michigan Constitution of 1963 vests the executive power of the State of Michigan in the Governor;
WHEREAS, Section 2 of Article V of the Michigan Constitution of 1963 empowers the Governor to make changes in the organization of the executive branch of state government or in the assignment of functions among its units that the Governor considers necessary for efficient administration;
WHEREAS, the Great Lakes Wind Council was created by Executive Order 2009-1;
WHEREAS, Executive Order 2009-1 was subsequently amended by Executive Order 2009-19 in order to expand the membership of the Great Lakes Wind Council from thirteen to seventeen members;
WHEREAS, it is necessary and desirable to again amend Executive Order 2009-1 to expand the membership and responsibilities of the Great Lakes Wind Council, as well as to extend the date by which the Great Lakes Wind Council must complete its work;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Jennifer M. Granholm, Governor of the State of Michigan, by virtue of the power and authority vested in the Governor by the Michigan Constitution of 1963 and Michigan law, order the following:
A. Section II.B.9.j. of Executive Order 2009-1 is amended to read as follows:
"j. Eleven other residents of this state."
B. Section II.C. of Executive Order 2009-1 is amended to read as follows:
"C. Members of the Council shall serve until December 31, 2010."
C. Section III of Executive Order 2009-1 is amended to read as follows:
"III. CHARGE TO THE COUNCIL
A. The Council shall act in an advisory capacity and shall do all of the following:
1. Identify those areas most favorable to lease for offshore wind development.
2. Inform, engage, and solicit feedback from the people of Michigan on the identified most favorable leasing locations to ensure that statewide interests are considered whenever significant permitting decisions are made.
3. Provide guidance to legal and technical experts as they develop model lease and solicitation documents.
4. Recommend options for how the public could be compensated for bottomland leasing and wind rights for wind energy systems, and advise on an incentive structure for early investors in wind development.
5. Provide guidance to the State Wind Outreach Team created within the Department of Energy, Labor, and Economic Growth in the Team's execution of an outreach and education plan related to offshore wind energy.
6. Provide input on proposed and new Great Lakes wind development legislation and rulemaking as appropriate.
7. Represent the interests of the state of Michigan in the Great Lakes Wind Collaborative and other multi-sector and interstate efforts to facilitate the sustainable development of Great Lakes wind resources.
8. Perform other functions related to the Council's responsibilities as requested by the Governor.
B. The Council shall provide a report of its activities to the Governor no later than November 15, 2010.
C. The Council shall complete its work by December 31, 2010."
This Order is effective upon filing.
Given under my hand and the Great Seal of the State of Michigan this 8th day of October in the year of our Lord, two thousand nine.
JENNIFER M. GRANHOLM
BY THE GOVERNOR:
Secretary of State