Skip to main content

Air Freight Service/Trucking

Required State License(s):

Michigan State Police:

  • Intrastate Operating Authority: When hauling for-hire, in intrastate commerce, operating authority must be granted through the Motor Carrier Division, Michigan State Police. For-hire means, for a direct or indirect fee, transporting property not owned nor manufactured by the company doing the transporting. Once granted authority, the carrier may have to license its intrastate vehicle(s) though the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division; 517-284-3250 or visit MSP/Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division.
  • UCR Carrier Registration (UCR Program): All interstate carriers, private and for-hire, must register in the annual Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program. Enforcement begins January 1st. UCR Information.

Michigan Department of Treasury:

  • International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA): IFTA requires a fuel tax license for a qualified motor vehicle use for the transportation of persons or property in interstate commerce (includes farm plated vehicles). For complete IFTA information contact the Michigan Department of Treasury (IFTA) 517-636-4580 or visit IFTA/FAQ.

Michigan Department of State:

  • International Registration Plan (IRP): IRP is a program for the licensing of commercial vehicle being operated in interstate commerce. Motor carriers are issued an “apportioned” registration plate and cab card for each vehicle. The card lists the IRP state the vehicle is licensed to enter and the elected weight for each state. For compete IRP information contact the Michigan Department of State (IRP) at 571-322-1097 or visit SOS/IRP.

Michigan Department of Transportation:

  • Oversize/Overweight Permits: Vehicles or loads which exceed legal dimension or weight require a special permit when operating on state or federal roads. For permit information, contact the  Michigan Department of Transportation 517-241-8999 or visit MDOT/Permits. Also contact the appropriate county road commission or local jurisdiction for local restrictions.

Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy:

  • Hazardous Waste, Liquid Industrial By-Products: The transportation of hazardous waste in the State of Michigan requires a registration and permit from the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) EGLE/Hazmat/Transport. A separate registration and permit may also be required for the transport of Liquid Industrial By-Products.

Other licenses/permits/registration:

U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA):

  • USDOT Number: Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections. FMCSA/Registration

  • Interstate Operating Authority: Companies that operate as for hire carriers (for a fee or other compensation) that transport passengers or federally regulated commodities, or arrange for their transport, in interstate commerce are also required to have interstate operating authority. FMCSA operating authority is also referred to as an "MC," "FF," or "MX" number, depending on the type of authority that is granted. Unlike the USDOT Number application process, a company may need to obtain multiple operating authorities to support its planned business operations. Operating Authority dictates the type of operation a company may run and the cargo it may carry. FMCSA/Registration

  • Hazardous Material Safety Permit: The transportation of division 1.1,1.2 and 1.3 explosive, material that are poisonous by inhalation, highway route controlled quantities of radioactive materials, compressed or refrigerated liquid methane in concentrate of 85% or greater, in a bulk tank with a capacity of 3,500 gallons or greater requires a Hazardous Material Safety Permit issued through the USDOT/FMCSA. Hazardous Materials Safety Permit Program (HMSP)

U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA):

  • Hazardous Material Shipper Transporter: For any placardable amount of hazardous material, intrastate or interstate, the shipper or transporter must file an annual registration statement with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA). PHMSA/registration

U.S. Internal Revenue Service:

  • Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax: Trucks may be liable for a federal highway use tax. You must file Form 2290 if a taxable highway motor vehicle is registered, or required to be registered, in your name under state, District of Columbia, Canadian, or Mexican law at the time of its first use during the period and the vehicle has a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. IRS Form 2290

Revision Date: 
July 2019