Skip to main content

Auto Leasing

Required State License(s):  

An Auto Lessee must pay sales tax on purchase or charge USE tax on rental income. A sales tax license may be required if any products are sold to the public. Call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-6925 and request a Registration Booklet for Michigan Taxes form (518).

If leasing a truck, and its use is for hauling freight or package delivery, the leasing company is responsible for meeting Motor Carrier requirements. Contact the Michigan State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division at 517-284-3250.

Auto Lessee's financing purchases or arranging financing elsewhere, the Lessee must be licensed as an Installment Seller of Motor Vehicles. Contact the Department of Insurance and Financial Services for licensure information at 877-999-6442 or visit

Revised: 04/2021