Skip to main content

Auto Oil Change

Required State License(s):  

Oil change facilities and persons changing oil are exempt from being licensed. However, all persons who repair motor vehicles for compensation, including the reconditioning, replacement, diagnosis, adjustment or alteration of the operating condition of the vehicle or any component or sub-assembly, in any category of major repair, must be certified by the State of Michigan. Any person performing major repairs who is not certified must obtain a mechanic trainee permit in the categories of repair in which he or she works. For more information visit our website at or call 1-888-SOS-MICH (888-767-6424).

A Michigan sales tax license may be required if products are sold to the public. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4660 and request a Registration For Michigan Taxes form (518).

You are required to contract with a licensed liquid industrial waste hauler to dispose of used oil and containers. For information and the names of licensed haulers, contact the Department of Environmental Quality; telephone: 800-662-9278.

Updated: 12/20/2019