Skip to main content

Bus Service

Required State License(s):  

The Motor Bus Transportation Act requires that vehicles used to transport individuals intrastate in exchange for compensation on a charter, special/contract operation or regular route, which are designed to carry 16 or more people including the driver, must be licensed by the Michigan Department of Transportation, Bureau of Passenger Transportation (BPT). For more information, visit

Other Possible License(s): Vehicles transporting passengers on interstate routes must be licensed with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration/Surface Transportation Board, 800-832-5660. The Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) was abolished January 1, 1996.

Further Information: The Limousine Transportation Act will require licensing for vehicles which do not meet the above criteria. For information, contact the Michigan Department of Transportation, BPT at 517-335-1692.

Revised: 12/2019