Skip to main content

Marine Salvage

Required State License(s):

An abandoned boat salvager, (i.e.., ownership responsibility has been relinquished), a permit is required with the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy, 517-284-5567. When rebuilding and reselling the salvaged boats a dealer decal is required for demonstrations. Contact the Department of State; 517-322-1473.

If salvager is working on behalf of the owner of the vessel being salvaged (or insurance company with authority to act for owner), no state license or permit is necessary.

Further Information:

Obtain copy of Part 761, Aboriginal Records and Antiquities, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended.

Revised: 07/2019