Skip to main content

Marriage, performance of

Required State License(s): None

Further Information:

To perform marriage ceremonies a person should be an ordained minister, magistrate (a civil officer with power to administer and enforce law -- Justice of the Peace), mayor of a Michigan city or a judge.

An ordained minister of the gospel recognized by a church may perform marriages whether or not the church has filed a charter with the State of Michigan, Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Corporation Division or an elected government official. To determine if a church has filed a charter, telephone: 517-241-6470.

Marriage licenses are obtained at the county clerk's office.

For marriage statistics contact the Department of Health & Human  services, Vital Statistics at 517-335-8094.

There is a tax guide available from the IRS, Publication 1828, "Tax Guide for Churches and Other Religious Organizations." It is available online at

Churches may be required to have a "Church Copyright License." For further information about this license, contact Christian Copyright Licensing International by calling (800) 234-2446.

Revised: 1/2020