Skip to main content

Meat Processing

Required State License(s):

When a business is engaged in processing, packing, repacking, canning, preserving, freezing, fabricating, storing, selling or offering for sale any food item(s), the business should be licensed as a food establishment (see Food Establishment License for details) with the Department of Agriculture & Rural Development at 1-800-292-3939.

Also check with the Food and Dairy Division about Labeling Laws.

A sales tax license may be needed. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.

Other Possible License(s):

Federal USDA Food, Safety and Inspection Division inspects and licenses meat processing. Contact (608) 240-4080.

Revised: 5/2017