|Again, the goal here is super-simple - just help your kids (and yourself) sit less each day!
Here are three easy ways to make it happen:
|Limit Sitting Activities
|Set a daily limit of two hours maximum on the amount of time you and your kids spend:
- Watching TV, movies or videos
- Using the computer and Internet
- Playing computer and video games
|Encourage activities that require movement as often as possible. Some ideas:
- When the kids tell you "I'm bored…" give them some of our easy at home and indoor weather activity ideas. You can even join in!
- Purchase birthday or holiday gifts that promote physical activity.
|If your child has a TV in the bedroom, take it out.
- Encourage activities that involve the entire family.
- Use a trip to the park or favorite activity as a reward, instead of a movie.
- Keep in mind items that will encourage kids to be active as gifts (balls, bats, active wear, gloves/hats) or gift cards to stores with sporting goods.
- Keep TVs, computers and items that encourage sitting in common areas so you can monitor the non-movement time.