Having breakfast every morning is a healthy eating habit that kids and parents alike should share. Why is breakfast so important? It can prevent over-eating later in the day, improves kids' ability to learn and can also help them behave better in school.
To help encourage breakfast eating, here are some fun and fast ideas:
Tired of cold cereal and toast? Add leftovers to your usual breakfast foods, like:
- Slice of veggie pizza.
- Small dish of macaroni and cheese mixed with diced tomatoes
- Black bean and salsa burrito
- Hard cooked egg
- Small dish of rice and beans
- Low-fat or skim milk
- Whole or sliced fruit
- ½ cup of 100% fruit or vegetable juice
- Low-fat yogurt
Grab n' Go Breakfasts
Pack one of these grab n' go breakfasts for your kids to eat while walking to school or at the bus stop:
- Whole fruit, ½ a bagel and a single serving container of low-fat or skim milk
- Granola bar, cheese cubes and a 100% juice box
- Trail mix made from dry cereal, dried fruits and nuts, plus a single serving container of low-fat or skim milk
Absolutely No Time
If mornings are just too busy for these ideas, check with your school to see if they offer a breakfast program. Kids can eat a healthy breakfast right at school.