The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Watching your weight does not mean that you suddenly have to eat food you don't like. In fact, using a little common sense, moderation and physical activity, you can probably eat most of the foods you like.
Here are three simple ways you can enjoy healthy eating:
Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
- This is easier than you think because you do not have to consume only fresh fruits and vegetables to enjoy the health benefits.
- Canned and frozen fruits and vegetables contain many vitamins and minerals that are essential to good health.
- Eating more fruits and vegetables also makes you feel full so you eat less.
Eat More Whole Grains
- Choosing whole grain breads and cereals is a great way to increase fiber intake.
- Eating foods high in fiber makes you feel full. If you are full, you will eat less and loose weight.
- Look for breads and cereals that are made with "whole grains" such as 100% whole-wheat flour or 100% oats.
Watch Your Portion Sizes
- It's amazing how much food we all eat, just because it is on our plate. Most people would be satisfied eating much less food if they paid attention to the hunger messages of their bodies, rather than "cleaning their plate."
- When preparing your own plate, decrease the amount of food you put on your plate.
- Eat slowly, sit down to eat and enjoy your food.
- When eating away from home, plan to bring half of your meal home for another time.
- Spend some time recording what you eat and how much. Most people are surprised at the amount of food they eat in a day.