The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Is your child being teased or bullied because of his or her size? All children deserve safe and supportive environments and to be treated fairly and with respect.
- Don't minimize the pain that comes from the cruel behavior of others.
- Listen carefully to your child's experience.
- Reinforce your love for your child.
- Discuss the lack of respect the bullies or teasers have for others.
- Think of some quick, humorous responses your child might use in these situations.
- Do some role-playing with your child so he or she can practice different responses. Teasing and bullying may stop if the person teased does not react with distress.
- Step in and talk to the school authorities or other parents if the situation become out of hand.