The goal of the Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs is to support the efforts of the Department and its bureaus to improve the delivery of services to the public, reduce unnecessary rules and regulations and strengthen the framework of laws relating to consumer economic activity.
- Coordinate legislative activity for the department pursuant to Executive Directive 91-2, including monitoring legislation, reviewing bill analyses and legislative proposals, drafting amendments to legislation and serving as the department's contact with the Office of the Governor's Legislative Liaison.
- Coordinate departmental rule promulgation activity under the provisions of Executive Order 1995-6. For more information, please see the Office of Regulatory Reinvention.
- Conduct studies of alternatives for the delivery of services to the public, analyze proposed legislation and make recommendations to department management.
- Communicate the department's position on legislation and provide input (e.g., suggested amendments) on legislative initiatives to the Governor's Office, legislators, committees and staff, and other departments.
- Respond to inquiries from legislators and staff, the press, local governments and the public concerning departmental programs and policies.
- Maintain files of legislation affecting the department, rules promulgated by the department and its constituent agencies and related documents.