Residential Builder

Veterans applying for a residential builder or maintenance and alteration contractor license may substitute up to 60 hours of their military experience towards prelicensure education requirements. The veteran must submit an affidavit signed by a commanding officer, supervisor, or military superior with direct knowledge of his or her service stating the veteran’s experience includes all of the following:

  • Business management, estimating, and job costing
  • Design and building science
  • Contracts, liability, and risk management
  • Marketing and sales
  • Project management and scheduling
  • The current Michigan residential code

Additionally, per MCL 338.2204, initial license registration or application processing fee may be waived for veterans applying for licensure as a residential builder or maintenance and alteration contractor.

In order for the fees to be waived or the experience to be applied towards the requirements for licensure, the applicant must provide either form DD214 or DD215 to prove separation from the armed forces was with an honorable character of service or under honorable conditions (general) character of service.

The form may be provided with the application. Additional information on licensing processes and requirements, including the application, may be found here.

Information on obtaining your DD214 or DD215 may be found here.