Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Bureau of Construction Codes

Notice to Veterans

In accordance with the Skilled Trades Regulation Act

(STRA), 2016 PA 407, any veteran providing satisfactory

proof of separation from the armed forces of the United

States under “honorable” or “general under honorable

conditions” is exempt from the initial license or

registration fees. For consideration, please attach a copy

of either a DD-214, and/or DD-215 to your application.

In accordance with STRA, examination fees, license

renewal fees, and registration renewal fees will no longer

be exempt. Proper examination and renewal fees will need

to be submitted to the Bureau or the testing agency.

If you do not have a DD-214 or DD-215 in your

possession, a free copy can be obtained from the National

Archives, https://www.archives.gov/veterans/militaryservice-

records or contact the Michigan Veterans Affairs

Agency at 800-MICH-VET (800-642-4838) for assistance.

The Licensing Division may be contacted at

LARA-BCC-Licensing@michigan.gov or 517-241-9316

if you have any questions.