Frequently Asked Questions related to Benefit Services Hearings

  • Q (DHHS). If am late for my hearing, will a judge still hear my case?

    A. If you anticipate being late for your hearing, there is a 30 minute grace period at the start of the hearing. You have only 30 minutes into the start of your hearing to either arrive, reschedule, or cancel your hearing in writing. If you do not arrive to your scheduled hearing, your case will be dismissed.

  • Q. How do I reschedule or cancel my hearing?

    A. If you need to reschedule or cancel your hearing, the request must be made in writing. The request can be sent by either mail or fax. A request should be written on blank or lined paper. The request should include your docket number, your name, your request, and the reason for the request. Your written request must include your signature. Please note that a request to reschedule or cancel must be made within 30 minutes after the start of the scheduled hearing.

    Mailing Address:

    MAHS - BSD
    P.O Box 30639
    Lansing, MI 48909
    Fax: 517-335-6088

  • Q. I missed my hearing, now what can I do?

    A. A request for a new hearing must be made in writing. The written request must state the reason for missing the hearing, as well as the docket number, your name, and signature. Judges choose whether or not they will hold a hearing for a person who has missed their prior hearing, but it is up to the judge to decide. Requesting a new hearing does not guarantee your request will be granted.

  • Q. I received a notice for a hearing I did not request, why do I have a hearing?

    A. Hearings are requested by the agency that holds the case (e.g. hearings scheduled in regard to food stamps are requested by the Department of Human Health Services). You must contact the agency who sent you the notice of hearing to follow up about any questions or concerns you may have. You must be sure to contact the agency in the appropriate county (e.g. Wayne, Oakland, etc). The Michigan Administrative Hearing System schedules the requested hearings, we do not request the hearings.

  • Q. I want to request a Certified Record Invoice, what should I do?

    A. If you request Michigan Administrative Hearing System (MAHS) forward the circuit court a certified copy of the administrative hearing, MAHS will certify and forward the hearing record upon receipt of a written request which includes the name of the case, MAHS docket number, and circuit court information. An invoice and order form is attached for your convenience.

    The Michigan Court Rules specify that the appellant is responsible for obtaining and filing the transcript of the digital hearing recording. MCR 7.109(G). MAHS does not process or pay for transcripts. All questions regarding the processing, pricing, and certification of the transcript should be directed to:

    Legally Correct Transcription, Inc.
    2563 Koala Dr.
    East Lansing, MI 48823

    Orders for CD audio copies of hearings may be requested by completing the attached order form "Certified Request Form" and providing payment of $26.00 that covers the cost of the CD, processing, and mailing (Check or Money Order only payable to the “State of Michigan”). A CD is not an official hearing record of the proceedings.

  • Q. How do I request a subpoena for a person or for documents to appear at my hearing?

    A. There are two types of subpoena used in a BSD administrative hearing: a subpoena to request a person who will provide witness or expert testimony, or a subpoena to request a person to bring documents to the hearing.

    The Department of Health and Human Services is required to make available any documents it used in the determination you are appealing as well as the person who made the department determination (or the supervisor or replacement.)

    You may request a subpoena if you have attempted to obtain the person's presence or the documents and after reasonable attempts were not able to obtain the person or documents prior to hearing.

    Below you will find a subpoena cover letter which should be filled out and delivered to the Michigan administrative hearing system. You will find a separate subpoena for requesting a person or requesting documents.

  • Q. I need accommodation for my disabilities, what should I do?

    A. MAHS strives to accommodate persons with disabilities and meet all federal and state disability laws. Please fill out the disability accommodation form and describe the accommodation you are requesting in order to effectively communicate during your hearing. Please submit the completed form to MAHS as soon as possible so that there is sufficient time to arrange your accommodation request before the hearing. Please provide a telephone number where MAHS can reach you (including TTY information) in case MAHS has questions.