NFIRS Bulk Import Procedure
NFIRS Bulk Import Utility
Prior to import uploading (importing) your incident data, you will need to export your incident information from your vendor’s software to a “delimited text file”. You will need to save the exported data to a folder created on your desktop or in your “My Document” file. You will then be able to locate this file when you are in the Bulk Import Utility mode when browsing for the files to import. To learn how to do this, you should contact your vendor’s customer support number.
Instructions for using NFIRS Bulk Import Utility:
Go to the following internet address: www.nfirs.fema.gov
Click on “Web-Based Tools”
Click on “Bulk Import Utility” (left hand side of screen)
Click on “Begin BIU Import” (left hand side of screen)
If a screen comes up saying something about a “secure area” – Click on “OK”
You will now be at your Login Screen. NOTE: Recommended you save this as a “Favorite” internet website.
Login with the following:
Password: (all lower case no spaces)
- Once login screen comes up your e-mail address should appear in the first box at the top of the page. If your e-mail address does not appear in the e-mail address field, enter a valid email address.
- Make sure to check the box for both Accept Invalid Records and Overwrite Existing Incidents.
- Click the first Browse button (use the scroll bar on right if the Browse buttons are not showing)
- Select your file to be imported and double click on it, this will place the file next to the browse button. You may attach up to 3 files at a time.
- After files have been selected click the “Upload Files”.
When the import processing is complete, the user will receive an email notifying that the import is complete and will contain a link for the user to view whether files were imported as valid or invalid.
After the user clicks on the link they will be taken to the Bulk Import Utility page to enter their login information. A file download box will be displayed. The user must specify to save the file to the computer. The filename will include a long, numeric identifier, as in the past. The zipped file will be downloaded and saved to the PC. To extract and review the files, the WinZip program is necessary.
For complete information refer to the Bulk Import Utility Info page or the Steps to Use the Bulk Import Utility document, available after login to the Bulk Import Utility website. Should the user have any other questions, the can contact Rhonda Howard, NFIRS Program Manager/System Administrator at 517-241-2807 or email address: email@example.com Monday – Friday 7:00am to 3:30pm.