Additional Complaint Related Resources

Health Professions – Takes disciplinary action against licensees/registrants for violations of the Public Health Code.

Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
BPL/Investigations & Inspections Division
P.O. Box 30670
Lansing, MI 48909-8170
Phone: 517-373-9196

Adult Foster Care and Homes for the Aged – Receives complaints for adult foster care homes, homes for the aged and specialized programs for developmentally disabled and/or mentally ill individuals who reside in adult foster care homes.

Bureau of Community and Health Systems
Children and Adult Licensing – Complaint Intake Unit
611 W. Ottawa, 1st Floor
P.O. Box 30664              
Lansing, MI 48909
Fax: 517-284-9793
Phone: 866-856-0126

Children and Adult Foster Care Camps & Child Care Homes/Centers – Receives complaints for children and adult foster care cams and child care homes/centers. A complaint must allege a violation of the governing act and rules. Use the following link for the governing act and rules or to file a complaint.

Bureau of Community and Health Systems
Children and Adult Licensing – Complaint Intake Unit
611 W. Ottawa, 1st Floor
P.O. Box 30664                 
Lansing, MI 48909
Fax: 517-284-9793
Phone: 866-856-0126

Adult Protective Services/Child Protective Services – Investigates allegations regarding abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable adults and children.               

Phone: 855-444-3911

Attorney General - Consumer Protection Division – Assist in mediating complaints under their jurisdiction.

Phone: 800-242-2873

Michigan Department of Civil Rights – Receive complaints regarding discrimination.

Phone: 313-456-3700
Fax: 313-456-3701
Toll-Free: 800-482-3604
TTY: 877-878-8464

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services – Customer Service line, this department assists with issues and questions related to foster care & adoption, child support, abuse and neglect, healthy Michigan plan, vital records (birth, death, marriage, divorce), emergency preparedness, safe birthing/delivery, safe sleep for infants, aging & aging services, behavioral health, developmental disabilities, crime victim services and assistance with locating missing children.

Phone: 855-275-6424

Corporations Division – Investigates complaints and pursues disciplinary action against a license, registration or permit issued by the Bureau of Community and Health Systems.

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
P.O. Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-241-7000

Michigan Administrative Hearing – The Michigan Administrative Hearing System (MAHS) Benefit Services Division (BSD) holds administrative hearings when decisions made by a variety of Michigan departments related to public health and safety, human services, and state employee benefits are contested.

Michigan Administrative Hearing System
611 W. Ottawa St.
Ottawa Building, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 30695 Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-335-2484 (MAP)

Drug Enforcement Administration – Investigates, manages and pursues disciplinary action against violations of controlled substance laws.

431 Howard Street
Detroit, MI 48226
Phone: 313-234-4000

Freedom of Information Act – Accepts and processes requests for state documents.


State of Michigan
Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
c/o FOIA Coordinator
Ottawa Bldg., 4th Floor
P.O. Box 30004
Lansing, MI 48909
Fax: 517-335-4037

KEPRO – Reviews medical records as requested by Medicare beneficiaries or their representatives. These services are available at no charge to either the beneficiary or representative.

5201 West Kennedy Boulevard, Suite 900
Tampa, Florida 33609
Toll-free Phone Number: 855-408-8557
Local Phone Number: 813-280-8256
Fax: 844-834-7130
TTY for all areas: 855-843-4776

Elder Justice Initiative – The US Department of Justice investigates and pursues concerns related to elder abuse and financial exploitation.

Eldercare Locator Helpline: 800-677-1116
Victim Connect Hotline: 855-4VICTIM (855-484-2846)

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act - Provides data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information.

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
233 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 240
Chicago, IL 60601
Customer Response Center: 800-368-1019
Fax: 202-619-3818
TDD: 800-537-7697

Labor Relations - Interpret and administer employees' contracts with respect to grievances, wages or salaries, employee welfare, healthcare benefits, pensions, union practices, and other stipulations

Lansing City Hall
124 W Michigan Ave # 4
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone: 517-483-4010

LARA Communication Office - Ensures that key information is communicated to both the internal and external customers of the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.

Office of Communications
Ottawa Bldg.
611 W. Ottawa, 4th Floor
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone: 517-373-9280
Fax: 517-241-1580

Medicaid - Essential health care coverage, such as Medical Assistance or Medicaid, is available to those who otherwise cannot afford it. Michigan has many health care programs available to children, families and adults who meet eligibility requirements. Each program has income limits and some have an asset limit - limits vary with each program

Phone: 800-642-3195

Medicare - Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain younger people with disabilities, and people with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant, sometimes called ESRD).

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
7500 Security Blvd
Baltimore, MD 21244-1850
Phone: 800-633-4227

The State Long Term Care Ombudsman - Michigan’s Office of Services to the Aging (OSA) has named Salli Pung as the state’s Long Term Care Ombudsman. The long term care ombudsman program can help you file a complaint or investigate your concerns at licensed long-term care facilities.

Michigan LTC Ombudsman Program
Michigan Elder Justice Initiative
15851 S. US 27, Suite 73
Lansing, MI 48917
Toll Free: 1-866-485-9393

Michigan Department of Human Services - Agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves.

Department of Human Services
235 S. Grand Ave.
P.O. Box 30037
Lansing, Michigan 48909
Cash, Food, Medical, or Home & Burial Assistance: 855-275-6424
Child Support: 866-540-0008
Report Abuse and Neglect: 855-444-3911

Joint Commission - An independent, not-for-profit organization, The Joint Commission accredits and certifies nearly 21,000 health care organizations and programs in the United States.

Phone: 800-994-6610
Hospital-based pharmacies 
Brian Johnson, Associate Director, 630-792-5144,
Home care pharmacies
Cynthia Cook, Associate Director, 630-792-5121,

MIOSHA- MIOSHA is a state government agency that regulates workplace safety and health in the U.S. state of Michigan.

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
Michigan Occupational Safety & Health Administration (MIOSHA)
530 W. Allegan Street
P.O. Box 30643
Lansing, Michigan 48909
MIOSHA Toll-Free Number: 800-866-4674
MIOSHA Fatalities/Catastrophes: 800-858-0397

Office of Recipient Rights - If you suspect or are aware of the abuse, neglect or exploitation of a recipient of public mental health services in Michigan, use the following links to assist you in reporting the information.

MDHHS - Office of Recipient Rights
320 S Walnut St.
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone: 517-373-2319

Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services - DIFS can offer assistance to consumers if they have questions or complaints about credit unions, insurance companies, banks, and HMOs.

530 W. Allegan Street, 7th Floor
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone: 517-284-8800 or 877-999-6442 (Toll-Free)

Bureau of Professional Licensing - This division is responsible for providing customer service, pre-licensure support and application processing.

Phone: 517-373-1737

Social Security - The United States Social Security Administration (SSA) is an independent agency of the U.S. federal government that administers Social Security, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits.

Phone: 800-772-1213

Tax Tribunal - The Tribunal is an administrative court that hears tax appeals for all Michigan taxes.

Michigan Tax Tribunal
P.O. Box 30232
Lansing, Michigan 48909
Phone: 517-373-4400

Department of Military and Veterans Affairs - A principal department of the State of Michigan. It oversees the military components and veterans services for the State.

3411 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Lansing, MI 48906
Phone: 517-481-8000

EMS Trauma System Section – The overall goal of a trauma system is to reduce the incidence and severity of injury as well as to improve health outcomes for those who are injured.

Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS)
Bureau of EMS, Trauma, & Preparedness (BETP)
Division of EMS and Trauma
P.O. Box 30207
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-335-3625

Whistle Blowers - Report neglect/abuse in nursing homes and Medicaid provider fraud.

2860 Eyde Parkway
East Lansing, 48823
Phone: 800-242-2873

Michigan Protection and Advocacy Services - MPAS is the independent, private, nonprofit organization designated by the governor of the State of Michigan to advocate and protect the legal rights of people with disabilities in Michigan.

4095 Legacy Pkwy #500
Lansing, MI 48911
Phone: 517-487-1755

State Operator – Rotation of several operators working 8am-5pm, answers any questions within the state of Michigan. 

Phone: 517-373-1837