Avoid A Complaint if Possible

Agency: Licensing and Regulatory Affairs


Consumer caution may be the best way to avoid problems situations or disputes. As a consumer, you should make sure that the person you are dealing with is licensed by doing one or more of the following:

  1. Ask for the person's license number.
  2. Call on the Department's verification unit at 517-241-9221 to verify the license or 517-241-7000 to verify formal complaints and/or disciplinary action for person's not involved with securities transactions.
  3. Checking the Department's online license verification site, www.mi.gov/licenselookup.
  4. For investment advisers and securities agents or brokers, check BrokerCheck or the IAPD.
  5. Asking for and checking references.
  6. Checking with local authorities or better business bureaus.


For services where a contract is involved, require a contract and ensure the following:

  • The contract is legible and complete.
  • The contract is definite in terms and sufficient to express the intent of the parties, the services to be provided, and the amount paid for the services.
  • All terms of the contract are clear.
  • Copies of the contract are distributed to all parties at the time of signing.
  • Any changes are made in writing and are dated and signed by both parties.

It is important that you keep copies of all documents relating to any transaction. These documents should indicate the name of the person providing them and the date they were received. Keep notes of conversations you have with the person or business providing the service and/or others representing the person or business providing the service. Note with whom you spoke, what you were told, the date and the location.