Get Registered as a Family Child Care Home


Registration is the process the Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs (LARA), Child Care Licensing Division uses to regulate family child care homes for the care of 1-6 unrelated children. The process requires that family child care home providers certify to LARA that they and their home are in compliance with the rules for family child care homes. 

Note:  It is illegal in the State of Michigan to care for unrelated children in your home without being licensed or registered by the Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs.

Step I - You must read the Licensing Rules for Family and Group Child Care Homes and the Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116) prior to completing the online application.  Upon receipt of your application, a rule book and the Child Care Organizations Act will be sent to you.

Internet Explorer is required to complete the online application.

Note: You must have a credit card or a debit card to pay the fee online (Discover or American Express Cards are not accepted). Click here if you do not have a credit card or a debit card.

Step II - The application must be completed online including submission of a $50.00 application fee.  The fee is non-refundable. As part of the on-line application, you will be instructed to print the forms listed in numbers 1-4 below, as well as provide the information indicated in numbers 5 - 8 below, and mail them to:

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Community and Health Systems
P.O. Box 30664
Lansing, MI 48909-8164

1.  The Background Check/Fingerprinting process has changed. Please contact 1-844-765-2247 for more information.

2. Medical Clearance Request (BCAL-3704-CC) - For you signed by your physician or your physician's designee which attests to your health. The Patient Information section must be completed before submitting the form to your physician for completion.

3. Medical Clearance Request (BCAL-3704-CC) - For each assistant caregiver signed by the assistant caregiver's physician or their physician's designee which attests to the assistant caregiver's health. The Patient Information section must be completed before submitting the form to the assistant caregiver's physician for completion.

4. Documentation of tuberculosis (TB) test results for all persons in the home who are 14 years of age and older.  Assistant caregivers must also have documentation of TB test results.

5.  Documentation of valid infant/child/adult CPR, first aid and blood-borne pathogen training for the applicant and any assistant caregivers. First aid and CPR training must be from a person certified as a trainer from an organization approved by licensing. Go to a list of approved organizations.

6.  Documentation of completion of the online training "Infant Safe Sleep Training for Child Care Providers" available at > Infant Safe Sleep and Shaken Baby Syndrome section.

7. Proof of inspection and approval of your heating system (includes wood-burning stoves and any other permanently installed heating devices) and fuel-fired water heater within the past 12 months. Furnaces and other flame- or heat-producing equipment used when children are in care and fuel-fired water heaters must be inspected by the following entities:
* A licensed heating contractor for a fuel-fired furnace.
* A licensed heating contractor or licensed plumbing contractor for a fuel-fired water heater.
* A mechanical inspector for the local jurisdiction or licensed mechanical inspector for a wood stove or other solid fuel appliance.
Note: Electric heat does not require an inspection.

8.  Documentation that the level of radon gases does not exceed 4 picocuries per liter of air in the lowest level of your home. For more information on radon testing, to go  

Step III - An environmental health inspection and approval are required if your application indicates that your home has a private well and/or septic system. The environmental health inspection, requested and paid for by licensing, is done by your local health authority prior to registration. 

Step IV - After review and approval of your application materials, you will be invited to attend a required orientation session arranged by your local licensing office. The purpose of the orientation is to review the licensing rules and laws and prepare you for the licensing inspection.
* The orientation will last approximately 6 hours.
* It will cover the licensing rules and the Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116).
* Additional information will be provided which will help you to be successful in the business of caring for children.
* Time will be provided for you to ask questions.



At the end of the orientation session, you will be given a Statement of Registration.
* This is a legal document on which you certify that you are in compliance with the family child care home rules and the Child Care Organizations Act (1973 PA 116). 
* You will be asked to take it home with you and check your home to be sure that you are in compliance with all of the rules and the law before signing and returning it.
* After you have returned the signed Statement of Registration, you will be issued a Certificate of Registration. Upon receipt of the Certificate of Registration, you may begin caring for children.
* This registration is in effect for 3 years as long as you continue to comply with the rules and the law and reside at the same address.

Step V - Within 90 days of being registered, your licensing consultant will inspect your home to assess your compliance with the licensing rules and law. Your licensing consultant may take pictures to document their findings. It is your responsibility to be in compliance with the rules and law. The Family and Group Home Compliance Record (BCAL-4601) summarizes the rules you must follow.

1.   A Certificate of Registration is issued to a specific person at a specific address. If you plan to move, you must contact licensing prior to the move so that you can be registered at your new address. If you move to a new address and do not contact this office, your Certificate of Registration is no longer valid at the new address.

2.   After being registered for 3 years, you will have to renew your registration.  This is a process that is done through the mail.  A renewal application packet will be sent to you prior to the expiration of your Certificate of Registration so that you may renew in a timely manner.  The cost to renew is $25.  You may need to update some of your documents at renewal.

3.   If a complaint about your family child care home is received by licensing, an investigation may be conducted and may include an on-site inspection of your home.

4.  10 clock hours of training must be completed each year by the applicant. Annual training is assessed by the calendar year. Note: The orientation sessions counts as 6 hours of training.

5. 5 clock hours of training each calendar year must be completed by each assistant caregiver.

6. The applicant must report to licensing, within 7 working days, any changes in the household composition or when any new or existing member of the household has any of the following:
* Arrests or convictions.
* Involvement in substantiated abuse or neglect of children.
* Court-supervised parole or probation.
* Been admitted to, or released from, a correctional facility, or hospital, institution, or facility for the treatment of an emotional, mental, or substance abuse problem.
These may be reported by using Notification of Changes in Status - Family and Group Child Care Home (BCAL-1485).
Technical assistance is provided by licensing to help providers comply with the child care licensing rules. Child care home technical assistance can be accessed at

8.  If, at any time, you decide to no longer care for children, you should mail a written request to close your Certificate of Registration to your local licensing office.



If you have any questions or need assistance, please feel free to contact licensing, toll free, at 866-685-0006.

Related Documents
MiLogin BCHS Registration Instructions PDF icon