Cosmetology Frequently Asked Questions

The answers provided are not meant to be a substitute for legal advice. 

The laws and rules application to this profession are found at the following links:

Articles 1-6

Article 12

Cosmetology Administrative Rules

Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Professional Licensing
Licensing Division
PO Box 30670
Lansing, MI 48909
Telephone: 517-373-8068
Email: BPLhelp 

All applications and forms can be found under Licensing Forms and Applications. 

Question:       How do I get Certification of my license sent to another state?

Answer:         You may submit the Detailed License Verification Request form. The detailed license verification request contains the state seal along with information regarding your license status, how the license was obtained, and whether any disciplinary action has been taken against your license. A status only license verification only contains information of your current license status.

Question:       How can I find out how many hours I have from school?

Answer:         Contact the school you attended. If the school has closed, submit a Freedom of Information request in writing to our office providing your current name, address, telephone number, the name you attended school under, the name of the school you attended, the address of the school, and the dates of your attendance. You may submit this request to or fax it to 517-241-6434.

Question:       Can I renew my license online?

Answer:         Yes, you may renew your license by visiting our website at

Question:       Can I apply for relicensure online?

Answer:         No. You would need to submit an Application for Relicensure form.

Question:       My license was lost/stolen/destroyed. How do I get a new one?

Answer:         Submit the Request for Duplicate License form.

Question:       I am licensed in another state, how do I become licensed in Michigan?

Answer:         MCL 339.1211 provides this information. Please submit a Reciprocal Cosmetologist, Manicurist, Esthetician, Natural Hair Culturist, or Electrologist License Application to apply for licensure.

Question:       Can I have a translator when I take my state board examination?

Answer:         Translators are only allowed if approved by our testing vendor, PSI Services, LLC. Please complete the Request for Translator Approval Form and submit it to the address on the form.

Question:       What do I need to bring to the examination?

Answer:         You may visit PSI’s website at to obtain a list of supplies or you may contact their office at 1-800-733-9267 for further information regarding the examination.

Question:       How old does my model have to be?

Answer:         Models are only required for individuals taking the esthetician examination. You may visit PSI’s website at for further information regarding the examination.

Question:       Can I come to your office to pick up the license?

Answer:         No, the licenses are not printed from this office and are not available for pick-up.


Question:       If an apprenticeship is terminated who should report it?

Answer:         A cosmetology establishment shall report the termination of any apprentice to the Department in writing.


Question:       What do I need to do if I change my shop location?

Answer:         Licenses are issued to a specific address; therefore, you must submit a new application and all other required documentation (i.e. floor plan) to obtain a new license for the establishment.

Question:       Since I am submitting an application for a shop that already exists, am I required to send in a diagram with my application?

Answer:         Yes.