The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Mechanical Examination, Licensing/Registration & Application Information
Effective June 14, 2017 mechanical examinations may include questions from the Skilled Trades Regulation Act, 2016 PA 407, The Stille-DeRossett-Hale Single State Construction Code, 1972 PA 230 as well as the respective code.
Additionally, examinations are now conducted by PSI. Approved applicants will be contacted by PSI to schedule their examination at one (1) of five (5) PSI testing centers throughout the state and are available to test six (6) days a week. Applicants are able to choose their testing center and day of examination. All examination fees are required to be paid to PSI at the time an examination is scheduled. Therefore, as of June 14, 2017, examination fees should no longer be submitted to the State of Michigan/Bureau of Construction Codes.
Licensed Mechanical Contractors can perform installations, alterations, servicing, and secure permits.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years experience in each of the work classifications applied for below.
- Hydronic heating and cooling and process piping
- HVAC equipment
- Limited heating service
- Unlimited heating service
- Limited refrigeration and air conditioning service
- Unlimited refrigeration and air conditioning service
- Fire Suppression
- Specialty License
- Solar Heating and Cooling
- Solid Fuel and Vented Decorative Gas Appliances
- LP Distribution Piping
- Fuel Gas Piping
- Fuel Gas Piping and Venting
- Must take and pass an examination for each work classification desired.
Mechanical Declaratory Ruling
Questions regarding licensing requirements should be directed to the Bureau's Licensing Division at 517-241-9316.