Skip to main content

Who Needs Foster Care

Out of home and non-nursing home options include Adult Foster Care and a Home for the Aged.

Adult Foster Care (AFC) homes are residential settings that provide 24-hour personal care, protection, and supervision for individuals who are developmentally disabled, mentally ill, physically handicapped or aged who cannot live alone but who do not need continuous nursing care.

  • AFC Homes are restricted to providing care to at least 4 but no more than 20 adults

A Home for the Aged (HFA) provides 24 hour room, board, and supervised personal care to:

  • 21 or more unrelated, non-transient individuals 55 years of age or older. 
  • 20 or fewer individuals 55 years of age or older that is operated in conjunction with and as a distinct part of a licensed nursing home.

Note: HFA is restricted to providing care to persons who are 55 years of age or older

If you are uncertain about the level of care needed by the individual seeking adult foster care or a home for the aged, check with the individual's doctor or the Adult Services Unit of your local Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) for assistance.


Both AFC Homes and HFA provide care to persons who are or have:

Mentally Ill
Physically Disabled
Alzheimer's Disease or other Dementia Related Disorders

Care may include assistance with bathing, grooming, dressing, eating, walking, toileting or the administration of medication.

Statutory Authority -

Regulation of Adult Foster Care homes---Act No. 218 of the Public Acts of 1979, as amended.
Regulation of Homes for the Aged---Act No. 368 of the Public Acts of 1978, as amended.