The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Caring for MI Future
Caring for MI Future
What is Caring for MI Future?
Caring for MI Future is a statewide effort to help child care entrepreneurs open 1,000 new or expanded child care programs by the end of 2024. This initiative, led by the Michigan Departments of Education and Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (MDE & LARA) is focusing on what entrepreneurs need most to open and expand child care businesses—help finding and renovating space, startup funding, help recruiting staff, and support creating a business plan.
Our Strong Start
Our Strong Start has a team of trained navigators ready to connect child care entrepreneurs with grant opportunities and assistance, addressing questions and concerns about starting or expanding their child care business.
Grants that are Currently Available:
There are no grant applications open today for new child care businesses. Watch this page for grants opening this fall!
Child care businesses need access to affordable, licensable spaces to care for kids. $50 million in grant funding is available for minor renovations and improvements to facilities (both indoor and outdoor) to meet licensing and quality standards.
Cashflow is an ongoing challenge for child care businesses, especially new sites that must incur costs well before they have revenue. These investments will provide funds to assist with these gaps.
Entrepreneurs can’t open and expand their businesses if they can’t hire staff. These funds will continue our statewide effort to recruit, train, and retain talented early educators that live and work in the communities they serve.
Many new businesses benefit from support from the state and their community to assess market demands, identify space, comply with health and safety rules and to create a sustainable business plan. These funds will align resources to make the startup and licensing process clearer and faster for providers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which opportunities and supports are available for new or expanding child care businesses?
- Our Strong Start (new and expanding businesses)
- Business Sustainability Support (new and expanding businesses)
- Facility Improvement Grants (expanding businesses)
- Pre-Licensure Grants (new businesses)
- Startup Funding Grants (new businesses)
- TEACH (support for temporary licensing variances)
- High School CTE Scholarships
What opportunities are available for community partners?
I’m a child care entrepreneur. What help is available to open or expand my child care business?
The best way to get started is to talk to a Navigator. They can help you start the licensing process, troubleshoot any challenges you’re facing, and connect you with grants. Just complete this simple form, and we’ll call you within 48 hours.
- If you are a parent searching for child care, visit Great Start to Quality for resources and information to assist you!
- Learn about how to get support to pay for child care through the child care subsidy program in this Child Care Eligibility Expansion Handout.
- Use this new calculator to see your family is eligible for low-cost or free child care, or visit Michigan.gov/childcare for a complete list of qualifying reasons.
- To apply for child care subsidy, check your eligibility status or manage your account in MI Bridges.
Who do I contact with questions about Caring for MI Future?