Wage and Hour Division 517-284-7800
Contractor/Employer responsibilities under the prevailing wage law:
- Every contractor and subcontractor shall keep posted on the construction site, in a conspicuous place, a copy of all prevailing wage and fringe benefit rates prescribed in a contract.
- Every contractor and subcontractor shall keep an accurate record showing the name and occupation of and the actual wages and benefits paid to the construction mechanic employed by them in connection with said contract. This record shall be available for reasonable inspection by the contracting agent or the department.
- Each contractor or subcontractor is separately liable for the payment of the prevailing rate to its employees.
- The prime contractor is responsible for advising all subcontractors of the requirement to pay the prevailing rate prior to commencement of work.
- A construction mechanic shall only be paid the apprentice rate if registered with the United States Department of Labor, Office of Apprenticeship and Training and the rate is included in the contract. A construction mechanic employed in the electrician classification may be paid the apprentice rate if they are enrolled in either an Apprenticeship program registered with the U.S.D.O.L., Office of Apprenticeship and Training (OAT), or Any other electrician apprenticeship program that is approved by the Michigan Electrical Administrative Board as equivalent to or exceeding the requirements of the U.S.D.O.L., Office of Apprenticeship and Training (OAT).