The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
What are the COVID-related circumstances that qualify for a work search waiver?
A person may be eligible for a waiver if:
- The individual has a current COVID-19 diagnosis within the last 14 days.
- A member of the individual's household has a current diagnosis of COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
- The individual is providing care for a family member or a member of the individual's household who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
- The individual was previously diagnosed with COVID-19, and COVID-19 caused health complications that renders the individual objectively unable to perform their job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- The individual is under self-isolation or self-quarantine in response to an elevated risk from COVID-19.
- Elevated risk includes but is not limited to those who are immuno-compromised, older adults (age 65 and older), pregnant individuals, individuals with a specific disease or chronic condition such as cancer, heart disease, or lung disease, and those with specific medications or treatments like steroids, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, dialysis, stem cell, bone marrow, or organ transplant.
- A child or other person in the household for which the individual has primary caregiving responsibility is unable to attend school or another facility that is closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency and such school or facility care is required for the individual to work.
- The individual is only exempted from the work search requirement if the school or facility care is not available 100% in person. For example, if the school provides an option between 100% in person or 100% online instruction, the individual is not eligible for the work search waiver. If the school is available through a hybrid of online and in person instruction, the individual is eligible for the work search waiver because the school is not available 100% in person.
- The individual is unable to work because the individual has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
- You are receiving Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) and you are self-employed or an independent contractor.