The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Steps to Apply
Get ready to apply
Before applying, gather the information you'll need:
- Social Security number
- Employment information for the past 18 months: employer name and address, first/last day worked/ gross earnings
- Your address, phone number, date of birth
- Non-Citizens Alien registration and the expiration date of your work authorization card
- Driver's License or State ID
How to apply
The best and fastest way to apply is online using the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM). You may also apply by phone at 1-866-500-0017.
View the MiWAM Toolkit for Claimants for step by step instructions on how create your account.
After you apply:
- Register for work by creating you job seeker profile at MiTalent.org
- Meet with staff from you local Michigan Works! Service Center virtually or in person
- Certify your eligibility every two weeks to receive payment - Report honestly
- Search for work and report at least one weekly work search activity for each week during your bi-weekly certification
- Watch for and respond to any information request we send you. You may choose to receive information electronically or by mail. This information may be time sensitive and affect your eligibility for benefits.
- Sign up for direct deposit or a debit card to receive your weekly benefits faster and more securely
- Read the Handbook for Unemployed Workers or Fact Sheet 160 - Claiming Unemployment Benefits in Michigan to learn about the requirements.
- Online 24/7 through your MiWAM account.
- Phone MARVIN (1-866-638-3993) Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
Payment posts within 2-3 business days from the date you report. Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays are not considered a business day.
- Direct deposit through your bank or credit union - You will need your routing number and account number
- UIA debit card
Questions about your claim?
- Visit Michigan.gov/UIA for tools and resources
- Access your MIWAM account 24/7
- Chat with an agent Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Call our Customer Service line at 866-500-0017, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Schedule an appointment online with the option of a closed-captioned virtual meeting for those who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Ask Ava, UIA's 24/7 chat feature.