Michigan eLibrary Information: www.michigan.gov/mel
MeL, the Michigan eLibrary, is an anywhere, anytime library for Michigan residents. This site provides information about the administration of MeL, with links to contact staff, find promotional materials and keep up with the latest news about MeL.
We are currently in the bid process of contracting for subscription database content from vendors. Late last year we surveyed library and teaching staff and held 9 listening sessions across the state about requested content areas for future database content. We received 426 responses which included 148 database requests over 20 subject areas.
In mid-January, we issued our request for proposals for vendors to bid their content. Responses were due in late February. While this was happening, we issued a signup form for library and teaching staff around the state to sign up to become evaluators of the trials. In total we received 222 sign ups.
The received bids went through an initial review for content appropriateness and accessibility. At the end of March, the trials went live to the evaluators along with scheduled webinars from each vendor.
At the end of the evaluation period we received 293 database reviews across 76 individual package/product combinations. We are currently going through these reviews, and hope to announce the new slate of subscription database content by late June.
- Contact MeL staff Find MeLCat implementation and technical support staff, MeL's marketing and PR experts, MeL Databases training/support staff and MeL administrative contacts.
- Britannica Apps for iOS and Chrome
This short article that originally appeared in the MAME newsletter includes screen shots on how to add the Britannica app to your iOS or Chrome device.
- New MeLCat Widget (from Courtland Consulting)
Allows you to embed code onto any website that will allow you to search the new MeLCat.
- MeL Discovery Widget (from Courtland Consulting) Allows you to embed code onto any website that will allow you to search MeL.
- Classic MeLCat Widget (from Sonya Schryer Norris) Allows you to embed code onto any website that will allow you to search MeLCat.
- Google Books MeLCat Library Lookup script (from Ed Vielmetti) This script will allow you to see which Google Book items are available in MeLCat.
- MeLCat Amazon Linky script (from Ed Vielmetti) This script will allow you to see which Amazon items are available in MeLCat.
- MeLCat Keyword search plug in for Firefox (from Jose Nazario) This script will allow you to search for MeLCat items from your Firefox toolbar.
- Technical Support Find contact information for technical questions and learn more about accessing MeL using a Michigan driver's license or state ID number.
- MeL History Trace MeL from its beginnings as Access Michigan, the Michigan eLibrary and ATLAS: Action Team for Library Advancement Statewide.
- MeL Statistics View MeL statistics as they build quarterly as well as for the previous two years' worth of stats for the databases, MeLCat, the MeL homepage and the MeL gateways.
- This service is funded by the Federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) via the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library of Michigan, part of the Michigan Department of Education. Additional funding is provided by the State of Michigan.