OVERVIEW OF SERVICES
Library of Michigan reference staff provide a variety of services to the Public. Staff will:
• Answer general reference and research questions by phone, email, or in-person at the Library of Michigan.
• Perform article/obituary searches for researchers (please limit requests to 2 item requests per month).
• Provide in-building tours and in-person/virtual presentations to requesting organizations.
Library of Michigan Hours
10AM-5PM Monday - Friday
The Library of Michigan is closed on Sundays. Find a list of holiday closures and additional vistor information on the Contact and Visit Us
Services available to Library of Michigan visitors include:
• Microfilm scanners
• Internet computers
• Subscription-based online databases
• Current newspapers from several Michigan communities
• Free Wi-Fi
• Quiet study spaces
OVERVIEW OF COLLECTIONS
The Library of Michigan maintains several key collections that are accessible to the public, including:
Additional information about the Library of Michigan's collections may be found on the Library Use Guidelines
section of the website.
Many resources through the Library of Michigan require a Library of Michigan Library Card for access. All residents of Michigan and State of Michigan employees are eligible for cards. Register for a card in-person at the Library's Reference Desk or digitally through our online form
ONLINE RESOURCES/DIGITAL COLLECTIONS
Additional digital resources that do not require a Library of Michigan Library Card include:
• Library of Michigan Digital
: Library of Michigan's online repository and serves as a point of access for unique and rare Michigan-specific materials, many of them published by Michigan state government.
EVENTS, PRESENTATIONS, AND TOURS
The Library of Michigan offers numerous in-person and virtual programs to the Public. Stay tuned for our 2022 schedule of programs.
Library of Michigan Special Collections staff offer a wide range of program topics for libraries, historical societies, government departments and other organizations. Staff can provide both in-person and virtual presentations on the following subjects:
• Collections of the Library of Michigan
• MyHeritage Library Edition Database
• Fold3 Library Edition Database
• Ancestry.com Library Edition Database
• Library of Michigan Digital
• Michigan Notable Books
• Michigan in the Novel: Early 20th Century Michigan Literature
• Michigan County Poor Farms
We also welcome topic requests if a subject is not included in the above list.
Tours are available by request of the Library of Michigan's building and collections. All tours must be arranged in advanced in order to assure staff availability.
Special Collections Update
The Special Collections Update is a biweekly email bulletin highlighting the services and material of the Library of Michigan's Special Collections. Readers will learn about new acquisitions, upcoming programs, item/resource spotlights, and more. Stay informed on the resources of your state library by signing up at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MILOM/signup/24046
Contact us with your information needs. Request assistance by: