Fair & Impartial Policing (FIP) Training
Fair & Impartial Policing® (FIP) Training
The Michigan State Police (MSP) and the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES), in partnership with the Michigan Sheriff’s Association and the Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police, will host training courses for law enforcement officers on fair & impartial (FIP) policing. The FIP perspective reflects a new way of thinking about the issue of biased policing. It is based on the science of bias, which tells us that bias is innate to all humans. Biased policing is not, as some contend, due to widespread racism in policing. FIP also fits squarely into the recommendations of both the Fostering Public Trust in Law Enforcement in Michigan report and the federal 21st Century Policing Task Force, and prepares agencies to engage in a meaningful way with the communities they serve.
FIP trainings will be offered statewide throughout 2018 and 2019; preference will be given to agencies located within the MSP district in which the course is held.
Seating is limited and is expected to fill quickly. Registration needs to be completed online via MI-TRAIN at www.train.org/mi-train (course numbers are included below- please make sure to use the correct course code when registering). For questions, please contact the MSP Grants and Community Services Division at 517-284-3208, or visit the website at www.michigan.gov/cjgrants.
- Commander Training (MI-TRAIN course number 1080304)
This curriculum is targeted to executive command staff and instructs trainees how to lead and supervise in order to promote fair and impartial policing.
- Mid-Manager Training (MI-TRAIN course number 1080305)
This curriculum is targeted toward individuals who are above the rank of first-line supervisor and below what is considered executive command staff in an agency.
- Commander/Mid-Manger Combination Training (MI-TRAIN course number 1080570)
Combination of Commander and Mid-Manager Trainings.
- Train-the-Trainer (TOT) Training (MI-TRAIN course number 1080306)
TOT walks trainers through every aspect of the FIP Training Program and provides opportunities to practice teaching the modules of both curricula. Participants will receive both the recruit/patrol officers and the first-line supervisors’ curricula, including comprehensive lesson plans, trainers guide, and PowerPoint presentations to implement the training programs. These trainers will then provide classes for first-line supervisors and officers/deputies/troopers.
Class Size: Each session is limited to 30 attendees.
Cost: $0 - Includes all training materials (lodging, mileage, etc., are the responsibility of the agency/attendee).
FIP Training Dates by MSP District
- First District (Michigan State Police Headquarters, Dimondale):
- Command - March 13, 2019
- Mid-Manager - April 3, 2019
- Train-the-Trainer - April 9-10, 2019
- First District (Courtyard by Marriott, Brighton):
- Mid-Manager - December 5, 2018
- Train-the-Trainer - February 6-7, 2019
- Third District (Bavarian Inn, Frankenmuth):
- Command - December 12, 2018
- Mid-Manager - February 20, 2019
- Train-the-Trainer - March 25-26, 2019
- Fifth District (Delta Hotel by Marriott, Kalamazoo):
- Command - April 8, 2019
- Mid-Manager - April 29, 2019
- Sixth District (Comfort Inn & Suites, Mt. Pleasant):
- Command - June 19, 2019
- Mid-Manager - June 24, 2019
- Train-the-Trainer - June 25-26, 2019
- Seventh District (Hotel Indigo, Traverse City):
- Command/Mid-Manager Combo - May 1, 2019
- Train-the-Trainer - May 22-23, 2019
- Eighth District (Ramada Inn, Marquette):
- Command/Mid-Manager Combo - May 15, 2019