Livonia Police Department
Police Service Aide
Opening Date: 07/25/2019
Closing Date: Until Filled
$33,467.20 Annually - 43,617.60 (after 3 1/2 years of service)
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Police Service Aides aka PSAs are primarily assigned to duties within the police station. PSAs will be responsible for all aspects of the care and processing from intake to discharge of persons taken into custody.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Using lockup and detention area computer software
- Routine inspections for cleanliness, headcount and contraband
- Finger and palm printing
- Processing of court documents such as warrants
- Inventory and security of prisoner personal property
- Prisoner intake screening/booking including the evaluation of medical and mental conditions and requirements
- Appearance and testimony in various courts
- Interact with arresting officers of this and other agencies
- Interactions with supervisors
- Confirm warrants with other agencies
- Process complaints
- Take reports in compliance with field based reporting procedures
- Operate various computer software and hardware
- Process and file documents including the confirmation of warrants
- Operate LEIN devices
- Retrieve and process records of all types
- Answer and direct incoming telephone calls
- Make voice broadcasts over police radio equipment
- Intake, inventory, process and release evidence
- Receive and process motor vehicle accident reports
- Perform vehicle inspections, impoundments, and inventories
- PSAs will perform other related duties as assigned.
For those applicants that are seeking promotion from a Police Service Aide to Police Officer there are some minimum qualifications that must be obtained while employed as a Service Aide. The PSA must obtain an associates degree in Criminal Justice, the college tuition will be reimbursed per semester by the Police Department to the PSA. The PSA must perform all duties at an acceptable level, receive a recommendation to go to the police academy from a direct supervisor, be able to pass the MCOLES written and physical test, and be 20 1/2 years old. Note: All academy expenses will be paid by the Department however there must be Police Officer opening in order to be promoted.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
***APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT A CURRENT PASSING PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST CERTIFICATE AS REQUIRED BELOW #5 WITH APPLICATION, TO QUALIFY FOR THIS POSITION
- Be a citizen of the United States; and
- Be at least 18 years old; and
- Have a high school diploma or a valid equivalency certificate; and
- Possess and maintain a current valid driver's license with a clean driving record; and
- Possess an MCOLES Physical Agility or a United States Army or Marines physical fitness test certificate, illustrating successful completion, dated within the preceding 12 months of the closing date of this announcement; and
- Possess normal hearing, and normal visual functions and acuity.
PARTS OF EXAMINATION AND WEIGHTS:
Written Test - 50%
Chief's Interview - 50%
NOTE: Qualified applicants with the highest passing score on the Written Test will be invited to the Interview part of the examination in groups of at least 10 as necessary. Applicants must pass the Written Test and Interview parts of the examination in order to be placed on the eligible list.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: Modern office methods, procedures and equipment, including use of computers; accounting; accounting and statistical data record keeping; clerical procedures including statistical research, and administrative report writing; policies, procedures and functions of a law enforcement department; processing and maintaining law enforcement reports and records; operating procedures for law enforcement related office machines.
Ability to: Compile, maintain, process and prepare a variety of records and reports including statistical records and reports; interpret and apply a variety of laws, codes and departmental rules and policies; work independently and use good judgment in providing support services; work tactfully and courteously with others in answering questions, disseminating information and providing assistance to others; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships; maintain confidentiality of information.
NOTE: Upon offer of employment, applicants are required to pass a background investigation by the police department, a psychological evaluation conducted by a City authorized psychologist and a complete pre-employment medical examination including drug testing conducted by a physician authorized by the City of Livonia.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application can be completed anytime online at www.governmentjobs.com/careers/livonia or Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at the office of the City of Livonia Civil Service Department at 33000 Civic Center Drive Livonia, MI 48154. If work experience and/or specific -skills e.g. typing, manual shorthand etc.- are listed as qualifications, it will be the responsibility of the applicant to describe their experience and/or skills sufficiently in the EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE sections of the application form so that it may be determined if the experience and/or skills listed meet the stated qualification requirements. Applicants who do not comply will be disqualified from further consideration. Attachments or resumes are not accepted in place of completing the information requested on the official application. However, you may attach extra pages to your application, if necessary, to provide a complete work history to supplement the Employment History section of the application. Applicants will be notified by e-mail of the time and place of the examination.
The purpose of this examination is to establish an eligible list to fill current and future regular and/or temporary vacancies.
Appointees must satisfactorily complete a two year probationary period before the appointment will be considered regular.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
33000 Civic Center Drive
Civil Service Department
Livonia, MI 48154