St. Clair County Sheriff's Office
Opening Date: 08/07/2019
Closing Date: Until Filled
Contact Person: St. Clair County Human Resources Department
Phone Number: 810-989-6910
WAGE RANGE: II-CC; $16.17-$21.29 per hour
HOURS: Part Time – Approximately 28 hours per week
OTHER INFORMATION: Open to St. Clair County Employees and the Public
Transport Officer oversees and participates in the custody, security, and treatment of prisoners while transporting them to various locations. The employee works independently and without supervisory direction, and must exercise discretion and use independent judgment, often facing critical, potentially violent, and complex situations.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, EDUCATION:
- Graduation from an accredited high school (GED acceptable)
- Minimum of five (5) years of current or previous employment in a corrections or law enforcement position in a satisfactory status.
- Manage sensitive issues independently and work under stressful conditions.
- Ability to physically and verbally control disruptive inmates.
- Ability to deal effectively with complex human behavior problems.
- Ability to maintain composure in difficult situations, and act quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability and willingness to enforce laws, rules and regulations with firmness and tact.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Prior to starting employment, and as a condition of continued employment, must demonstrate:
- Physical fitness as determined by an evaluation by a licensed health care professional which demonstrates that the candidate is free from any physical defects or chronic diseases which may impair the performance of the essential job functions of a law enforcement officer or which might endanger the lives of others or the law enforcement officer.
- Good moral character as determined by a favorable comprehensive background investigation. The background investigation is understood to encompass all forms of pre-employment screening, including but not limited to: drug screen, physical, criminal background, driving record, sex offender registry, education, training and licensing verification, credit check, school and employment records, home environment, personal traits, integrity and professional and personal references. A satisfactory background check is defined as the absence of a criminal history record which bears a demonstrable relationship to the applicant’s or employee’s suitability to perform the require duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Mental fitness as determined by an evaluation by a licensed health care professional which demonstrates that the candidate is free from mental or emotional instabilities which shall mean free from any mental or emotional instabilities which may impair the performance of the essential job functions of a law enforcement officer or which might endanger the lives of others or the law enforcement officer.
Throughout employment, and as a condition of continued employment, must demonstrate:
- Possession of a valid State of Michigan Operator’s License and maintain eligibility to drive as per the County’s driving policy and the Sheriff’s Office policies and procedures.
- A familiarity with firearms and the ability to obtain a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) within ninety (90) days of employment. Incumbent who is authorized to carry a firearm on duty shall qualify with said weapon annually.
- Possession of a valid CPR, first aid and AED certification, or successfully complete the training within ninety (90) days of employment in the position.
- Successfully complete an annual criminal background check in order maintain satisfactory personal qualifications (including but not limited to: good moral character, mental fitness and physical ability), certifications and complete required training as mandated by the department and state regulations.
- Willingness to further credentials by attending additional education, training and workshops.
(For a comprehensive Job Description please visit http://www.stclaircounty.org/Offices/hr/jobdescriptions.aspx)
SPECIAL NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
When submitting an application and/or resume please be sure to include evidence that the minimum required qualifications are met (copies of degree, certifications, and/or training, description of relevant experience, etc.).The applicant must include the requisition number from the title line on any application or resume submitted to insure the application is properly designated and processed. If the requisition number is not included, the applicant assumes full responsibility should the application or resume not be attributed to the desired position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer