Wayne State University Police Department
Communications Controller - Police Dispatcher
Opening Date: 12/10/2020
Closing Date: Until Filled
Essential Functions/Job Duties
- Accept incoming calls for assistance.
- Answer 6 emergency phones; monitor the University and Detroit radio frequencies relating to emergencies; monitor alarm systems campus-wide; monitor close-circuit televisions.
- Relay emergency information to Public Safety Officers for response.
- Provide officers with complete and accurate information regarding assistance requests; assess urgency of emergency and dispatch appropriate personnel or otherwise offer assistance.
- Determine response priority.
- Maintain, via computer, information pertaining to incoming calls requesting assistance.
- Update records on action taken.
- Dispatch information received via computer, FAX or teletype requesting University Public Safety Officers assistance by City of Detroit Police.
- Prepare reports relating to department activities.
- Perform general office duties.
- Type general correspondence; maintain office and crime files; receive and route emergency and non-emergency calls; gather background information on crimes and individuals for use by officers.
- All Communication Controllers are considered to be "Essential Personnel," and are required to report during a university emergency closure period.
- Perform related work as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Ability to sustain concentration for extended periods of time.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others via telephone and radio.
- Considerable knowledge of criminal justice policies and procedures.
- Ability to prioritize work.
- Prior experience with police dispatch equipment preferred.
- Willing to work variable rotating shifts, hours and days, including weekends, holidays and mandatory overtime.
- Ability to effectively communicate and exchange information.
- Proper pronunciation, enunciation, projection and diction and spelling skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to monitor and operate alarm systems, TV screens, computer terminals and radio systems.
- Alert, resourceful and flexible.
- Able to maintain composure and effectiveness in stressful work situations.
- Perform with keen attention to details and ability to accurately transcribe and/or transmit information.
- Must obtain security clearance.
- No felony convictions.
- Typically, incumbents have held positions requiring the dispatch of vital information.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Follow this Link to apply for this position: jobs.wayne.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp Click on Search Postings Under Position Title Choose – Communications Controller Click Search which will open up the Search Results Click View Click on APPLY FOR THIS POSTING Funding/Salary Information Salary Minimum Non-Academic Only $36,620 Salary Hire Max Non-Academic Only $43,944 Salary Maximum Non-Academic Only $54,933 Is Position Bump Ineligible? No Non-Academic, Represented positions only. Select 'No' for Academic. Select N/A if Non-represented.
**NOTE: If 'Yes' is selected, then this is a Bump Ineligible Position or BIP. The person who bids or hires into this 100% grant funded position has no bumping rights upon grant expiration or in a reduction of force.