Division of Public Safety & Security (University of Michigan)
Guest Services Specialist
Opening Date: 10/08/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
CONTACT PERSON: Sherri Swanson
Guest Service Specialists (GSS) are members of the Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS). DPSS oversees all police and security operations at the University of Michigan and offers a truly integrated approach to safety and security, partnering across the University and educating the U-M community to ensure a safe community together. Our GSS team members provide guest relations functions and security screening for Michigan Medicine, and are often the first point of contact for our patients, families and visitors, and are responsible for facilitating an organized and safe environment for patients, families and visitors, providing service beyond expectations. GSS team members will represent the hospital to all audiences in a way that promotes the concept of patient and family centered care. This position is a 100% regular appointment and is 40 hours per week. The department is a seven (7) day per week, twenty-four (24) hour per day operation. Work schedules may include extended shifts, nights, weekends, afternoons, holidays and occasional unanticipated overtime. Candidates must successfully pass a thorough background investigation and drug screening.
- Act as the initial greeter for all patients/visitors entering the main front/lobby, Emergency Department, C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, and various offsite locations, handling protected health information with the utmost confidentiality and discretion.
- Create and issue hospital ID badges for all family members, visitors and vendors, while screening according to security protocols to verify authorization to visit.
- Offer assistance for way-finding, parking validation, deliveries and other requested information including information regarding hospital and community services for patients, family members and visitors.
- Uphold visitation and other applicable policies, procedures, guidelines and restrictions of Michigan Medicine while being respectful and courteous to a diverse audience.
- Monitor the immediate environment and report any suspicious activity to Security.
- Liaise closely with DPSS security and police, in order to share information and aid in the orderly management of incidents.
- Provide additional support for the infant security monitoring system.
- Coordinate with other departments and participate as needed to provide a safe, comfortable environment that meets the needs of the patient, family members and visitors.
- Assist visitors/families during emergencies which may include fire, natural disasters and patient/family situations.
- Orient and assist families and visitors in waiting room areas on the unit while maintaining a general orderliness of the waiting room areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard business software applications, including Microsoft Office and Google Workspace.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication.
- Ability to relate work and job purpose to the community's mission and commitment to putting patients and families first.
- Views others as customers and understands customer requirements; anticipates customer needs; gives high priority to customer satisfaction.
- Works well under pressure, effectively handling large volumes of customers and balancing multiple priorities and tasks.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to move throughout the building to assist patients and families.
This is a uniformed position required to maintain standards of appearance by following the DPSS Appearance Standards Official Order.
- Associate's degree in a related field
- Previous healthcare, security and/or customer experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with health system specific computer application.