- Why can't I access the live, production database using the login ID and password I created during training?
All classroom training for authorized Network operators is conducted using the development, or ‘test', database. The password you create during training is only valid for that database. The first time you log into the ‘live', production database you should repeat the instructions given to you in your letter of authorization. Once you have successfully logged in, you will be required to create a new password.
- How do I get access to the MCOLES Network?
It is necessary for each User Agency to execute a MCOLES Information and Tracking Network (MITN) User Agency Agreement with MCOLES in order to use the system. Since the system contains information subject to privacy regulations, the User Agency Head must identify persons authorized to conduct business transactions with MCOLES. These individuals, and the agency head, must execute MCOLES Information and Tracking Network (MITN) Operator Agreement with MCOLES. Once the completed documents are received at MCOLES, access rights will be created for authorized operators. Operators will be notified of their login information in writing.
- How does my agency become an authorized Network user?
The MCOLES Network is a highly secure system that will restrict access and deny unauthorized use. For an agency to become an authorized user on the Network, a MCOLES Information and TRacking Network (MITN) User Agency Agreement must be submitted to MCOLES.
Persons within an organization who perform business transactions with MCOLES must be identified. These individuals will need to be authorized by the agency head to conduct MCOLES Network operations. This will be accomplished through a MCOLES Information and Tracking Network (MITN) Operator Agreement. All designated operators for a law enforcement agency will need to register and attend a MITN Operator training class.
All agreements can be sent to MCOLES by emailing them to email@example.com or faxing at 517-636-7886.
- What are the rules for creating a new password?
- Must contain at least 8 characters and no more than 30 characters
- Must contain characters from at least three of the following:
- Uppercase alphabet characters (A-Z)
- Lowercase alphabet characters (a-z)
- Arabic numerals (0-9)
- Non alphanumeric characters (e.g. !@#$%^&*+=?)
- Cannot be the same as your old password
- Maximum lifetime of passwords is 90 days
NOTE: A reminder message will appear on the login screen each time you log in starting approximately one week before the password expires.
- How do I add a new Operator or rescind the rights of a current Operator?
Adding a New MITN Operator
If your law enforcement agency identifies the need to authorize a new operator to use the MCOLES Information and Tracking Network (MITN), your agency will need to execute a MCOLES Information and Tracking Network (MITN) Operator Agreement, complete with your agency heads signiture, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX it to 517-636-7886.
NOTE: Law enforcement agency operators are required to complete a MITN Operator Training class prior to being granted access to MITN. Got to MITN Operator Training Classes on our website to find a schedule of upcoming MITN Operator Training classes.
Once the completed documents are received at MCOLES and you have completed the MITN Operator Training (if required) access rights will be created for the Operator.
Recinding MITN Operator Rights
Your agency can recind MITN Operator Rights for an individual in one of two ways:
- The preferred method is for the Key MITN operator to remove the person’s access in MITN. After submitting the removal in MITN the Key MITN Operator should print the report, obtain the proper signatures and email the form to MCOLES at email@example.com or fax it to 517-636-7886.
- The alternative method is to complete the Law Enforcement Agency User Agreement Addendum, include the agency head's signature, and submit the Addendum by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing it to 517-636-7886.
- Are there any rules that will affect my ability to log into the Network?
Yes, there are security rules in place that may affect your ability to log in.
- You are allowed three (3) attempts to log in successfully. If, for some reason you are unable to log in after 3 tries, your account will be locked and you must contact the MCOLES Help Desk at 517-636-7867 to reactivate your account.
- If you log into the Network but leave your computer inactive for 45 minutes, the system will automatically log you out. Simply log back in and you will be able to continue with your work.
- Any ‘inappropriate' exit from the Network will cause a 45-minute delay before you can log back in again. A proper exit from the system is a two step process. First you click on the Exit MITN link, then you must close your browser to complete the process. If, for example, you accidentally close you browser first or temporarily lose your Internet connection, the database assumes that you are still logged in and will not allow another login until the 45 minute delay has passed. An error message indicating that ‘the user is already logged in' will be displayed when this situation occurs.
- How do operators learn to use the Network?
Mandatory training for law enforcement agency operators is usually offered once a month in Lansing. Training schedules and training enrollment information can be found by going to MITN Operator Training Classes on our website. Due to the importance of system integrity and security, the only method of obtaining a logon identification and password is through training.
Basic training academy operators and in-service training provider operators are able to access the User Guide through a link within the system once they have received their User ID.
- Where do I create an Internet Explorer Favorite or Bookmark to access the Network?
Please create your Favorite or Bookmark on the Network Login Page & Status Update page. This will give you an opportunity to review the Network Status Updates for important system messages each time you log in. Do not set your favorite on the page where you enter your login ID and password; this can cause access problems.
- Who do I contact if I'm having difficulty accessing the Network?
The first thing you should check when having issues logging into the MCOLES Information and Tracking Network (MITN) is the MITN Status Update. If we are experiencing any difficulties with the system, we will post an announcement in the Network Status Update. If no known problems are described there, please call the MCOLES Help Desk at 517-636-7867.
If you are unable to log onto MITN and receive the following error message, please follow the steps below to re-establish your connection.
Error establishing encrypted connection to mcoles-mitn.state.mi.us
Error code - 12210
- Open Internet Explorer
- Go to the Tools menu
- Select Internet Options...Advanced Tab
- Scroll down to the Security section
- Uncheck 'Use SSL 2.0'
- Check 'Use SSL 3.0'
- Apply your changes
- When a law enforcement agency employs a new agency head, what must the Department do to preserve its Network rights?
When a law enforcement agency hires a new chief, department head, or elects a new sheriff, the following information will need to be submitted to MCOLES:
Submit an executed Law Enforcement Agency User Agreement Addendum signed by your agency head to MCOLES by emailing it to email@example.com of fax it to 517-636-7886. MCOLES staff will make this change upon notification through the Addendum.
The User Agreement Addendum should reflect the following:
Section I - Provide the agency name, address, telephone and FAX number.
Section II - Indicate the name of the previous agency head. If the former agency head is a sworn law enforcement officer and leaves the agency, a Separation Notice has to be executed through the MCOLES Network and should be faxed to the MCOLES Licensing Services Section. Provide the name of new agency head, effective date, if the individual is working as a fully sworn, licensed law enforcement officer, e-mail address, telephone number, and FAX number.
Section III - Indicate the name of the individual who should be designated as the Single Point of Contact for the Network.
Section IV - Indicate if the new department head wants to retain or rescind operator rights for those individuals that have access to the Network. Upon notification that operator privileges should be rescinded, MCOLES will deactivate those Login IDs. If new Network Operators need to be designated, they will need to fill out an MCOLES Information and Tracking Network (MITN) Operator Agreement, submit the form to MCOLES by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing it to 517-636-7886 and attend a mandatory MITN Operator training class.
- How do I find the MCOLES Network on the Internet?
We recommend that you access the MCOLES Network through our website at www.michigan.gov/mcoles. There are several ways to access MCOLES Network informational pages.
- From our Home Page, select the link in the left tool bar entitled "MCOLES Network"
- From the middle section of our Home Page under the banner "Online Services"
- From the MCOLES Network Logo in the right hand menu