City of Niles: Police Officer Closing Date: May 31, 2022
April 01, 2022
The Niles City Police Department is currently seeking an energetic, dedicated and professional individual who is excited to begin their career in law enforcement. Whether you have recently completed the police academy, or are already in your law enforcement career, this may be an excellent opportunity for you.
Niles is a small community located in southwest Michigan with a population of approx. 11,500. The City of Niles is surrounded by Niles Township with a similar population. Niles is located just 3 miles from the Indiana state line, 8 miles from Notre Dame, 20 miles from Lake Michigan beaches and dunes, and an hour and a half from Chicago. We are seeking a person entering the law enforcement profession, or already in their career, and wishing to work in our small but exciting City.
Minimum requirements for employment:
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must have a minimum of an associate's degree from an accredited college or university
- Must possess valid driver's license
- Must be able to pass physical / drug screen / psychological
- Must be MCOLES Licensed or Licensable (Licensable is defined as a person who has already completed an MCOLES approved police academy and who's license is enacted upon hire by a police dept.)
- Must pass employment background
- Must be willing to relocate to Niles area upon completion of probationary period.
Starting wage $23.6596 per hour ($49,211.87 annually), with step raises each year reaching maximum pay after only 3 years with regular pay raises. This is a union position with the Police Officer's Labor Council (POLC). Excellent benefit package, paid vacation, personal leave days, and ability to bank compensation time. Opportunities within the department include Canine Handler, School Resource Officer, Evidence Tech, Accident Investigator, Special Response Team, Neighborhood Enforcement Team, and Detective Bureau. Niles PD has it's own dispatch center and lodging facility.
If interested you can fill out an application online by visiting http://www.nilesmi.org/, clicking on employment opportunities and then clicking on Police Officer, or you can contact H.R. Manager Tara Myer at 269-683-4700 x3040 with any further questions or direction.