The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Huron-Clinton Metroparks Southern District (Lower Huron & Southern District): Part-time Police Officer Closing Date: April 1, 2023
April 15, 2022
$24.28/hour plus medical benefits (up to 1,500 hours per year). Eligible part-time employees will receive a $1.00 per hour retention bonus for all hours worked from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Eligible to participate in 457 plan.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under the immediate supervision of the Chief of Police, District Lieutenant, Sergeant, work activities in this position primarily involve patrolling the Authority's properties to prevent vandalism, fire, theft, and development of unsafe conditions; suppression of criminal activity involving the protection of life and property; enforcing laws and regulations of conduct affecting patrons and visitors; investigating crimes; apprehending those suspected of criminal action; and providing assistance, first aid, and information to park visitors. Will also perform ancillary operations, maintenance, public relations or naturalist duties as directed.
Officers will work various locations throughout our western district which include Kensington, Indian Springs, Delhi, Dexter-Huron, Huron Meadows & Hudson Mills Metroparks.
The following is intended to describe the general nature of duties only. Employees shall perform other duties as assigned.?
- Patrol HCMA property while operating a patrol car, golf cart, motorcycle, motor scooter, bicycle, pick-up truck, fire truck, horse, watercraft and/or snowmobile, or on foot in a variety of environmental conditions and over variable terrain.
- Investigate complaints regarding suspicion of criminal activity gathering information by interviewing and obtaining statements of victims, witnesses, and suspects and confidential informants.
- Conduct searches during daylight or darkness of buildings, open or heavily wooded outdoor areas with even or uneven terrain, beaches, marshes, marinas, and golf courses.
- Apprehend persons suspected of violating laws and ordinances, affecting arrests, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints.? May involve climbing over obstacles, jumping down from elevated surfaces, jumping over obstacles, ditches and streams or crawling in confined areas.
- Render assistance at fire or accident scenes such as lifting, carrying, or dragging people or heavy objects for distances of up to 150 yards.
- Prepare investigative and other reports including sketches using appropriate grammar, symbols, and mathematical computations.
- Advise the public on laws, ordinances, rules and regulations, about use of park facilities and provide park visitors with information pertaining to park use and points of interest maintaining a positive public relations atmosphere.
- Controls animal population to obtain balance of wildlife and habitat using control measures in accordance with the HCMA wildlife management plan.
- Perform maintenance duties including but not limited to routine patrol vehicle maintenance; snow removal; the grooming of bike, ski or nature trails; and other grounds or maintenance duties as skills allow.
- Perform operational duties including but not limited to mail deliveries; motor vehicle permit sales; bank transports or escorts; toll gate relief; radio inventory; fire extinguisher inventory; first aid supply inventory; and safety inspections of playground equipment, hike/bike trails, picnic areas.
- Perform public relations, photography or naturalist functions including but not limited to school presentations and nature center programs.
- Perform administrative assignments including but not limited to pre-employment background investigations.
- MCOLES Certified Officer or certifiable Police Academy graduate in the State of Michigan.
- Associate's Degree or minimum 60 credit hours earned at an accredited school preferably in law enforcement, criminal justice or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possess a valid State of Michigan motor vehicle license and maintain an acceptable driving record.
- Unsullied personal life free from crimes of moral turpitude as determined by a criminal history and background investigation.
- Upon offer of employment, satisfactory completion of background check, physical to include drug screening, and psychological examination.
- Free from controlled substances other than those prescribed under a licensed physician's care.
- Ability to observe situations analytically and objectively and to react with good independent judgment within legal guidelines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive relationships with co-workers and the general public.
- Ability to maintain proficiency with duty firearm in accordance with HCMA rules and regulations.
- May be assigned to work in other parks and districts as needed and if necessary.
- Will be required to work assigned Special Events, Weekends and Holidays.
- Ability to perform the essential job functions and typical physical demands unassisted and without delay.
Closing Date: 04/01/2023
Contact Person: Sgt. Chris Proudlock
Website Link: https://www.metroparks.com/job-opportunities/