Muskegon County: Sheriff Security Officer Closing Date: November 30, 2022
May 02, 2022
SALARY: $16.24 - $19.38 Hourly
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
NOTE: Employees in these positions will work not more than twenty-four (24) hours per week.
The Sheriff Security Officer, under general direction from supervision, provides security at the Hall of Justice and all County owned property. Employees in this class screen for weapons and other contraband, as ordered by the Sheriff, that is prohibited in the Hall of Justice, enforces State and Federal law on County owned property, prepares written reports or incidents, transports prisoners to and from court appearances and various medical facilities, may make an arrest if an incident occurs while performing his/her duties and performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED MINIMUM ENTRANCE QUALIFICATIONS:
A. Required Experience and Training
- Possess an Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university including the successful completion of a minimum of thirty (30) credit hours in Police Science or Criminal Justice; AND
- Be certified or currently certifiable as a law enforcement officer following successful completion of the training requirements established by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (M.C.O.L.E.S.).
B. Special Requirements
At the time of application, the applicant must:
- Be a bona fide resident of the State of Michigan for one (1) year prior to time of appointment;
- Possess good moral character as determined by a comprehensive background evaluation;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be Bondable;
- Possess a valid Michigan driver's license and have a good driving record;
- Be in good physical condition, including normal vision functions and acuity in each eye correctable to 20/20;
- Have not been convicted of:
- A felony violation.
- Three (3) moving violations in the 24 months prior to application.
- *Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Two (2) or more violations of reckless driving or one (1) of reckless driving accompanied by aggravating circumstances.
- *Loss of driving privilege through suspension or revocation of any driving license.
- Any conviction for moving violations, accidents, non-moving violations, or violation of other laws which indicates poor driving attitude or habits, or lack of respect for the law.
*Note: A conviction of this type of offense may not be automatically disqualifying if the conviction(s) occurred when the applicant was between 17 and 20 years of age, and at least five (5) years have passed with no further convictions.
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS / WORK LOCATION:
An employee in this class must be in good physical condition such as to permit the occasional lifting and carrying of objects or persons weighing in excess of one hundred (100) pounds, and standing, walking or running for extended periods of time.
An employee in this class performs job duties under a variety of environmental conditions including office assignments and travel throughout the County owned property during all types of weather conditions.
The selected candidate must take a post-offer medical examination (including back screen and complete physical) and drug screening test given by a County appointed physician before the first day of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon the results of the medical examination and drug screening test. Applicants for County employment may be subject to a post-offer criminal background check, depending on the nature and assignment of the position. When such check is conducted, an offer of employment is contingent upon the results of the criminal background check. Appointees must satisfactorily complete a probationary period before the appointment will be considered permanent.
APPLICANT REVIEW PROCEDURE
Any applicant is entitled to a review of any determination or action taken by the County regarding the applicant's employment application. Inquiries should be directed to the County Human Resources Department.
The purpose of this recruitment is to establish an eligible list from which to fill present and future vacancies in this classification in the County system. For each opening, the Department Head has her/his choice of the candidates who meet the required minimum entrance qualifications. This list remains in effect for three months unless exhausted or extended.
MUSKEGON COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MUSKEGON COUNTY HAS ADOPTED A VETERANS PREFERENCE POLICY THAT RECOGNIZES QUALIFYING MILITARY SERVICE
OPENING DATE: 05/02/22
CLOSING DATE: 11/30/2022
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/Muskegon
97 E. Apple Avenue
Muskegon, MI 49442