The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Grand Rapids Community College: Campus Police Officer Closing Date: June 9, 2022
May 25, 2022
Position Number: 1351
Schedule: 40 hours/52 weeks*
Compensation: $24.17 per hour
Reports to: Chief of Campus Police
Shifts are assigned based on seniority; this position will mostly likely be 2nd Shift. Employees regularly assigned to second shift shall receive $.25 per hour over the employee's regular rate for the hours worked
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
- Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
- A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
- Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
- Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
- Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
- Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
- Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
The GRCC Police Department is a Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards certified police agency and all officers and command staff are expected to meet M.C.O.L.E.S. licensing standards. All officers work with members of the department, college, local, state and federal law enforcement agencies as well as officials from other area colleges routinely. This position is a fully certified law enforcement position responsible for enforcing all Federal, State, and Local laws as well as GRCC College policies on GRCC Property. Shifts are assigned based on seniority, so this will likely be a second shift position.
Essential Job Functions
- Patrol all Grand Rapids Community College buildings, property, and streets running through and adjacent to the College-owned buildings on foot, bike and vehicle.
- Uphold local, state, and federal law plus the policies of the College, to include issuance of civil infractions, appearance citations, and physical arrests.
- Prepare reports, assist in follow-up investigations, seek arrest warrants, and testify in court for all incidents that occur on College property.
- Provide a safe, orderly, and secure environment for all customers, students, faculty and staff, administration, and visitors of GRCC.
- Serve, assist, and protect all customers, students, faculty and staff, administration, and visitors.
- Carry out the services of the Campus Police Department in such a manner that will present a positive image for both the College and the Campus Police department.
Become licensed by the Michigan Department of State Police to operate the Law Enforcement Information Network. Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position. Persons in this role are identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). CSA's will be trained and responsible for reporting Clery Reportable Crimes to Campus Police as required by the Clery Act. All other police related duties assigned.
Marginal Job Functions
- Project a professional image including punctuality, dependability and good attendance records
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask, prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Willingness and ability to learn the college-wide system.
- Applicants must be M.C.O.L.E.S licensed or eligible for licensure.
- Associate’s degree or related job experience.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred.
- The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based selection process:
- Getting Information
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
- Guiding, Directing, and Motivating Subordinates
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
- Training and Teaching Others
- Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings
- Coordinating the Work and Activities of Others
- Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others
- Coaching and Developing Others
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
- Scheduling Work and Activities
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
- Judging the Qualities of Things, Services, or People
- Ability to communicate with the general public by phone, in person, electronically and through written correspondence
- Team player with a positive attitude and genuine desire to be helpful
- Ability to communicate and work harmoniously with all members of the college
- Ability to perform daily routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to be a self-starter for problem solving
- Must have excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Able to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and linguistic abilities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Enjoy working with the public
- Willing to adapt to changing technologies and responsibilities
- Ability to take orders and follow directions given.
- Proactively identify problems and use excellent judgment to assist in resolution
- Able to prioritize and handle a constant and at times heavy workload and ensure that actions are completed effectively and within deadlines sometimes with minimal supervision
- Must meet all physical standards set by M.C.O.L.E.S., including firearms qualifications
- This job requires the employee to be able to perform rigorous tasks, including but not limited to: extensive walking, running, climbing stairs (several flights), lifting/carrying heavy objects,wearing heavy uniform equipment on a daily basis.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Maintain the highest level of honesty and integrity.
- Understands and can interpret all levels of laws, Federal, State, and Local.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Project a professional image including punctuality and good attendance record.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and respect diverse populations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to students and staff in a demanding work environment.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure in high risk situations
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in stressful situations with concern for safety
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to incorporate GRCC values in professional work environment
- Must meet all physical standards set by M.C.O.L.E.S., including firearms qualifications.
- This job requires the employee to be able to perform rigorous tasks, including but not limited to: extensive walking, running, climbing stairs (several flights), lifting/carrying heavy objects, wearing heavy uniform equipment on a daily basis.
- Must be able to pass a medical exam, drug screening test, and a psychological exam.
- Ability to work inside and outside in all weather conditions (rain, snow, extreme heat/cold)
- Ability to sit for long periods
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods
- Must be able to work flexible hours as needed.
- Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on 06/09/2022 at 11:59PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
Closing Date: 6/9/2022